Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-11-2006, 06:56 PM #1
darkk
MW Assassin

darkk is a Supporting Member
Has anyone ever thought of this?

First, I would like to state that I am a Christian, and I do believe in Jesus Christ. However, I have been pondering something for awhile.

With all of this evidense of evolution/the creation of the solar system/planets, I wonder if this could be true, but not explained in the Bible. The Bible says God created the world in 7 days. But I am just wondering if this is said to keep things simple, for it would be an arduous task to explain the Big Bang Theory and creating matter from gas, etc when the people at that time had no idea of such concepts.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone else has ever thought of this?
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM #2
chodeyg
sprezzatura

I think Christians are kicking themselves in the ***** by being so silly with the idea of Creationism. 95% of scientists don't believe in it, and look at where the funding comes from in the other 5%.

What Christians COULD be doing is using the story in genesis as a metaphor, which goes along with current theories such as the big bang AND evolution perfectly, and using it to claim divine inspiration of the bible. As creationism starts to look dumber and dumber, this will slowly happen anyway.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM #3
wrathballer06
chillen bra

Yea i belive in the evolution, god creating the world in 7 days is bs
Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM #4
Adema3412
Give me fiction

has been a member for 10 years
You mean interpreted the bible metaphorically?

No, never.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 PM #5
caseytmev3 (Banned)

Nope, you are the first person to ever think of this.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 PM #6
wrathballer06
chillen bra

i'm atheiest god is like i said bs
i definatly think that people just made god for an excuse of not knowing.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 PM #7
darkk
MW Assassin

darkk is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytmev3 View Post
Nope, you are the first person to ever think of this.
thanks for your sarcasm. i know people have thought of this, but i was just trying to see if anyone had more knowledge to share on the situation
Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 PM #8
wrathballer06
chillen bra

i'm being serious, god is a lame excuse for people not knowing. How the earth was made is a perfect example, there is no huge being that controlls everything, people dont know, so they just say its god. I 100 % belive in evolution and the bing bang
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 PM #9
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathballer06 View Post
i'm being serious, god is a lame excuse for people not knowing. How the earth was made is a perfect example, there is no huge being that controlls everything, people dont know, so they just say its god. I 100 % belive in evolution and the bing bang
I'd advise to be a tad bit more open-minded. It's very beneficial in many respects to consider others' faith as well, because it often strengthens your own opinions and beliefs.

I'm an atheist as well, but I have no right to deem opposing views ludicrous. You don't know any more about truth and meaning than anyone else does. Don't fool yourself.

Yea, cliche but I don't care how bliss, ignorance is. It's damn annoying for the rest of us.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM #10
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
I'd advise to be a tad bit more open-minded. It's very beneficial in many respects to consider others' faith as well, because it often strengthens your own opinions and beliefs.

I'm an atheist as well, but I have no right to deem opposing views ludicrous. You don't know any more about truth and meaning than anyone else does. Don't fool yourself.

Yea, cliche but I don't care how blissful ignorance is. It's damn annoying for the rest of us.
Fixed for further credibility.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 PM #11
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Fixed for further credibility.
I was totally trying to maintain the cliche, but of course you had to go and ruin it.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM #12
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathballer06 View Post
Bing Bang?

Do you think Al Capone is a supreme being?

You don't know any better then the next person about God. You have nothing that proves or disproves it. So there is no reason to say that it is "stupid"

The Big Bang is a theory, and it has a lot of holes. Just as many as Christianity, or any religion. There are more philosophies to human creation then just the bible, though. Don't form your own theories without at least trying to see what other religions think. You can't base one thought off of one religion.

Not to mention, evolution doesn't disprove a higher being, and neither does the big bang.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:28 PM #13
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
Conqueror supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkk View Post
First, I would like to state that I am a Christian, and I do believe in Jesus Christ. However, I have been pondering something for awhile.

With all of this evidense of evolution/the creation of the solar system/planets, I wonder if this could be true, but not explained in the Bible. The Bible says God created the world in 7 days. But I am just wondering if this is said to keep things simple, for it would be an arduous task to explain the Big Bang Theory and creating matter from gas, etc when the people at that time had no idea of such concepts.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone else has ever thought of this?
I think you need to put a little more thought into your questions. You're saying Genesis is a metaphor for the big bang? That would be awfully hard to do, since the big bang wasn't even hypothesized for nearly two millenia after Genesis was written. Genesis was written to be taken literally, since that was as good an explanation as any other they had in those times.

CQ
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM #14
UFG
Use ****ing Google

The point of the creation story was to show that of all the amazing things that exist in our universe, God said that man was good. That is the point but so many people have missed it. It's a story told by a man and was put into words the best way he knew how.

Also, people get hung up with the 7 days yet no where does it mention a 24 hour period. Have you ever heard somebody say, "back in the day..." or maybe "the good old days"? People are talking about a time frame or period, not specific 24 hour periods. I find it really sad when people take it as 24 hour periods.

Am I saying that the big bang and evolution are the answer over creation? Nope. Am I saying that they could co-exist? Yep. Do I know? Nope. Does it matter in my life? Nope. Will I ever worry about it? Nope.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:29 PM #15
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
I believe that a yom is a yom (Hebrew meaning a 24 hour period - a day starting at evening), and the earth as we know it was created in 6 24 hour periods.
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 PM #16
pro-noob

I am a muslim and do remember being taught as a child that we also believe in the big bang theory because of certain verses in the quran. I have found some translations which vary slightly but are generally the same.

"أولم ير الذين كفروا أن السماوات والأرض كانتا رتقا ففتقناهما.." a (الأنبياء:30)

"Haven't the unbelievers seen that the heavens and the earth were joined together (in one singularity), then we clove both of them asunder. (21:30)

"Do the unbelievers not realize that the heavens and the earth used to be one solid mass that we exploded into existence? And from water we made all living things. Would they believe?"
The Qur'an 21:30

"He created seven universes in layers. You do not see any imperfection in the creation by the Most Gracious. Keep looking; do you see any flaw? Look again and again; your eyes will come back stumped and conquered."
The Qur'an 67:34
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 PM #17
drigerV88

i think the creation of the world in 7 days is not to be physically interpereted but so that GOD can prove his point and say GOD>Humans
Old 12-14-2006, 10:15 PM #18
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drigerV88 View Post
i think the creation of the world in 7 days is not to be physically interpereted but so that GOD can prove his point and say GOD>Humans
There are much more efficient ways to assert one's superiority than to create a fictitious [appearing] story that illogically explains the origins of the Earth. Furthermore, why would a true god need to prove anything. He is god. I find it suspicious that a supposedly perfect entity wants or needs glorification from mere mortals.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM #19
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
Well God is not bound to Earthly times, so who's to say his "first day of creation" could have been 10 billion years.
As a Catholic, I believe the universe is too vast for God not to exist. Now am I saying he built the entire earth is 144 hours, No, but I do believe he somehow created everything.
Heres some other interesting things on the creation of the earth.
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html

why didn't God put people on the moon
Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM #20
maxMONSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFG View Post
The point of the creation story was to show that of all the amazing things that exist in our universe, God said that man was good. That is the point but so many people have missed it. It's a story told by a man and was put into words the best way he knew how.

Also, people get hung up with the 7 days yet no where does it mention a 24 hour period. Have you ever heard somebody say, "back in the day..." or maybe "the good old days"? People are talking about a time frame or period, not specific 24 hour periods. I find it really sad when people take it as 24 hour periods.

Am I saying that the big bang and evolution are the answer over creation? Nope. Am I saying that they could co-exist? Yep. Do I know? Nope. Does it matter in my life? Nope. Will I ever worry about it? Nope.
i have to agree with this i was also wondering this a while back when i just got into the faith, i read it over and over, and talked to a few of my christian friends. we have to remember that this is God were talking about here and i know im gonan get a bunch of crap from athiests and what not ok whatever fine it says im gonna get persecuted so go ahead ur doing me a favor anyways yeah were talking about God, back then a day could have been 24 hours up to lets say 1 billion years possibly more and if you think about it, it was kind of a big bang God said let there be light *BANG* light see right there big bang explained
Proto clear eye plates $20
Qlock $40
07 CP on/off $37
Halo B v35 rip drive $135
playing paintball priceless
Old 12-14-2006, 10:21 PM #21
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxMONSTER View Post
i have to agree with this i was also wondering this a while back when i just got into the faith, i read it over and over, and talked to a few of my christian friends. we have to remember that this is God were talking about here and i know im gonan get a bunch of crap from athiests and what not ok whatever fine it says im gonna get persecuted so go ahead ur doing me a favor anyways yeah were talking about God, back then a day could have been 24 hours up to lets say 1 billion years possibly more and if you think about it, it was kind of a big bang God said let there be light *BANG* light see right there big bang explained
Since you do not want criticisms from an atheist, I will withhold my comments. Although, I will say your reconciliation of the Big Bang and the Creation story is to say the least, bad. I am going to simply state that the Big Bang was not just a release of light, and did not just involve the Earth, as the Creation story does. Asserting that God did not create the Earth in 24 hour increments means nothing as well and does not prove anything.