PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM #22
zack

has been a member for 10 years
I agree, you could indeed be an athiest without making it a question of rationality, I am (and it sounds like you may well be as well), my point is that many people flee the slavery of an institutionalized god by slaving themselves to reason. Thought is a beautiful and powerful thing, I am only arguing that it should never be slaved to a goal. It is a power in its own right.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:20 AM #23
Em1Kid288
♥LOVE♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSupra619 View Post
whether or not god exists, and he does, my religion helps me be a better person overall. Do you know how many urges I have had to do bad things, but didn't because it was sin? Drugs and Alcohol are hard to not do when you are at a party (I sometimes give in, im not perfect), but things like stealing, fighting, all other things that society would consider wrong, my faith prevents me from doing that. So even if there wasnt a god(which I strongly believe there is) i have no regrets with following my religion.
Are you suggesting you would be unable to find the innerstrength to turn down temptation if you were without your faith? What about your faith is the deterrent? The desire to please your God in order to please your God or the fear of not pleasing your God?

I'm a Christian, but with or without my faith I am able to make the correct choices (morally, socially, etc). I don't make my decisions to directly appease any God, nor because I am afraid of not appeasing Him. Sure, the vast majority of my decisions are in accordance with the doctrine I choose to follow, but it is never my driving force. I think there's a difference between being a "good person" and a "faith following person."
ANYMORE
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 AM #24
Mps2216
Control Yourself

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack View Post
I agree, you could indeed be an athiest without making it a question of rationality, I am (and it sounds like you may well be as well), my point is that many people flee the slavery of an institutionalized god by slaving themselves to reason. Thought is a beautiful and powerful thing, I am only arguing that it should never be slaved to a goal. It is a power in its own right.
I understand your point, however I would consider it more of an ideal rather than a true way of life. I say this because I fear that this "ideal" would essentially become a goal because of its difficult nature, which ultimately would make it into the exact opposite of what it strove to embrace.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 AM #25
Aggressive Bill

I would have to say that the idea that faith is not based on anything logical isn't correct. The concept of faith has been deminished to belief in something without any fact or proof. However, faith is totally opposite. Before faith is placed in something, a decision is made. You decide if you want to place your faith in something off of evidence that you have personally found.

Now there are people who just jump into anything with little evidence. But it still was logical enough for them to do so. It may be dangerous for people to do that, but it still happens none-the-less. When you sit in your chair, you trust that the legs will hold you. You see the legs and figure that its all good. You then have faith that the chair will hold your butt up.

Some require more evidence and thus believe in what they believe because its what makes sense to them. They have faith in whatever because they deemed it logical.