PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 PM #64
04prostock
We Was Robbed!!!!

The bible is not supposed to be taken litterally as historical fact. There are plenty of facts there, but that is not the message of the creation story or the bible.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 PM #65
Mps2216
Control Yourself

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prostock View Post
The bible is not supposed to be taken litterally as historical fact. There are plenty of facts there, but that is not the message of the creation story or the bible.
So you believe the Bible is a large metaphor? Again, if the aim of the creation story is not to accurately describe creation, what other purpose does it serve?

I think in reality, the creation story is intended to literally describe creation, whilst intentionally leaving out certain aspects which ultimately results in "interpretation". However when dealing with the origin of life and the universe, I hardly think that such a story should leave room for said interpretation.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:48 AM #66
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
"I and the Father are one" John 10:30

The Trinity? The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost? They are all one entity. The son, Jesus, is part of the trinity, so he is essentially God. He is also human. So my point is, how does the perfect God present himself in a human body? If Jesus is imperfect, that means the Trinity is imperfect which means God is imperfect.
Um, you have your doctrine wrong. See, Jesus was perfect... That was the point.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:52 AM #67
04prostock
We Was Robbed!!!!

Quote:
So you believe the Bible is a large metaphor? Again, if the aim of the creation story is not to accurately describe creation, what other purpose does it serve?

I think in reality, the creation story is intended to literally describe creation, whilst intentionally leaving out certain aspects which ultimately results in "interpretation". However when dealing with the origin of life and the universe, I hardly think that such a story should leave room for said interpretation.
If you honestly can't see any deeper meaning in the story other than a historical account. I don't think you understand what you are arguing. The bible isn't a history book. It was never intended to be used as a fact book.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM #68
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
"I and the Father are one" John 10:30

The Trinity? The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost? They are all one entity. The son, Jesus, is part of the trinity, so he is essentially God. He is also human. So my point is, how does the perfect God present himself in a human body? If Jesus is imperfect, that means the Trinity is imperfect which means God is imperfect.
Define imperfect - what do you consider flawed?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:11 PM #69
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Define imperfect - what do you consider flawed?
He's human.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:12 PM #70
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Um, you have your doctrine wrong. See, Jesus was perfect... That was the point.
See above post.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:13 PM #71
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
If you honestly can't see any deeper meaning in the story other than a historical account. I don't think you understand what you are arguing. The bible isn't a history book. It was never intended to be used as a fact book.

I never said the Bible was a history book. I'm just looking directly at the ideas the Bible presents. We're talking about creation. You really think that's something to "beat around the bush" about?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 PM #72
04prostock
We Was Robbed!!!!

As catholics we believe that creation came about through evolution. We don't actually believe the creation story to be facts and events that actually occured. The story has a much deeper meaning than that.

And Jesus being human is a mystery. He was human. He was divine. It's dogma. That just part of our faith.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 AM #73
Silence
BLUAWAGABA

If the Bible is not inerrant, how do you know which parts are true?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:28 AM #74
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
As catholics we believe that creation came about through evolution. We don't actually believe the creation story to be facts and events that actually occured. The story has a much deeper meaning than that.

And Jesus being human is a mystery. He was human. He was divine. It's dogma. That just part of our faith.
Came about through evolution? I can assure you that was not the doctrine of 15th century Catholicism. So why the change? If the Christian faith is based on the Bible, which certainly has had no real content change since its origins.

You don't believe the creation story really happened? If that were true than there would be no arguments about evolution. And if the creation story is not meant to be taken literally, would you please explain this deeper meaning? I fail to see how a story which focuses strictly on the creation of the earth, can have any other connotation.