Bible Errancy - Page 4 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 PM #64
04prostock
We Was Robbed!!!!
 
04prostock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Orleans/LSU
The bible is not supposed to be taken litterally as historical fact. There are plenty of facts there, but that is not the message of the creation story or the bible.
__________________
Grip and Sip
04prostock is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 PM #65
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prostock View Post
The bible is not supposed to be taken litterally as historical fact. There are plenty of facts there, but that is not the message of the creation story or the bible.
So you believe the Bible is a large metaphor? Again, if the aim of the creation story is not to accurately describe creation, what other purpose does it serve?

I think in reality, the creation story is intended to literally describe creation, whilst intentionally leaving out certain aspects which ultimately results in "interpretation". However when dealing with the origin of life and the universe, I hardly think that such a story should leave room for said interpretation.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:48 AM #66
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
"I and the Father are one" John 10:30

The Trinity? The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost? They are all one entity. The son, Jesus, is part of the trinity, so he is essentially God. He is also human. So my point is, how does the perfect God present himself in a human body? If Jesus is imperfect, that means the Trinity is imperfect which means God is imperfect.
Um, you have your doctrine wrong. See, Jesus was perfect... That was the point.
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:52 AM #67
04prostock
We Was Robbed!!!!
 
04prostock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Orleans/LSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
So you believe the Bible is a large metaphor? Again, if the aim of the creation story is not to accurately describe creation, what other purpose does it serve?

I think in reality, the creation story is intended to literally describe creation, whilst intentionally leaving out certain aspects which ultimately results in "interpretation". However when dealing with the origin of life and the universe, I hardly think that such a story should leave room for said interpretation.
If you honestly can't see any deeper meaning in the story other than a historical account. I don't think you understand what you are arguing. The bible isn't a history book. It was never intended to be used as a fact book.
__________________
Grip and Sip
04prostock is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM #68
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.
 
X_Paint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
"I and the Father are one" John 10:30

The Trinity? The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost? They are all one entity. The son, Jesus, is part of the trinity, so he is essentially God. He is also human. So my point is, how does the perfect God present himself in a human body? If Jesus is imperfect, that means the Trinity is imperfect which means God is imperfect.
Define imperfect - what do you consider flawed?
__________________
Ego is the opiate that dulls the pain of being obviously stupid.
X_Paint is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:11 PM #69
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Define imperfect - what do you consider flawed?
He's human.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:12 PM #70
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Um, you have your doctrine wrong. See, Jesus was perfect... That was the point.
See above post.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:13 PM #71
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prostock View Post
If you honestly can't see any deeper meaning in the story other than a historical account. I don't think you understand what you are arguing. The bible isn't a history book. It was never intended to be used as a fact book.


I never said the Bible was a history book. I'm just looking directly at the ideas the Bible presents. We're talking about creation. You really think that's something to "beat around the bush" about?
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 PM #72
04prostock
We Was Robbed!!!!
 
04prostock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Orleans/LSU
As catholics we believe that creation came about through evolution. We don't actually believe the creation story to be facts and events that actually occured. The story has a much deeper meaning than that.

And Jesus being human is a mystery. He was human. He was divine. It's dogma. That just part of our faith.
__________________
Grip and Sip
04prostock is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 AM #73
Silence
BLUAWAGABA
 
Silence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Budd Lake, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
If the Bible is not inerrant, how do you know which parts are true?
__________________
Team FOREFRONT
Silence is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 10:28 AM #74
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prostock View Post
As catholics we believe that creation came about through evolution. We don't actually believe the creation story to be facts and events that actually occured. The story has a much deeper meaning than that.

And Jesus being human is a mystery. He was human. He was divine. It's dogma. That just part of our faith.
Came about through evolution? I can assure you that was not the doctrine of 15th century Catholicism. So why the change? If the Christian faith is based on the Bible, which certainly has had no real content change since its origins.

You don't believe the creation story really happened? If that were true than there would be no arguments about evolution. And if the creation story is not meant to be taken literally, would you please explain this deeper meaning? I fail to see how a story which focuses strictly on the creation of the earth, can have any other connotation.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump