PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 AM #1
chodeyg
sprezzatura

How could there be a hell?

This is just a mindless little rant, correct me if I am wrong in places.

I recently found it quite difficult to figure out how anyone could go to hell, and here is why. I heard many times back in sunday school that an accident is not a sin. I can't quote anything from the bible on this, but I am sure that Christians will agree with me that if you killed someone by means of a complete accident, though it was technically your fault, that it would not be a sin. I was then thinking, what if you had a complete lack of empathy or were mentally handicapped, and you accidentally truly upset someone by what something you said? What if you couldn't understand why they were so upset and didn't know how powerful your words/actions were? How could you go to hell if it was basically an accident? And what about the father of a family of five hungry mouths who either steals or lets his children die? What if he could not get food otherwise, would it still be a sin to steal in order to keep his family alive even though he would have no other options? And what about the son of some sort of organized crime gang, who is raised his whole life being taught nothing but how to work for the mob? If he truly knows no other ways, is he still sinning?

tl;dr a hungry mob ate my dog in front of my family and I want to know if they are going to hell!
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 09:42 AM #2
Aggressive Bill

Excellent question. Now the Bible does refer to an age of accountability. As a smaller child, most can't grip this stuff. Depending on the degree of someone being handicapped, they cannot grasp this either.

Sin is in man as a whole. Its not a one time thing and you are going to hell. Its whats in us. Man can do some great things, but its in our hearts to sin. Watch a small child. They know how to lie without being taught. They can get really angry and slap and bite. They get jealous. You can see it all from an early age.

The examples that you provide are excellent. However, you gotta look at the over all picture. We know when we are doing something wrong usually. There are some areas that we don't realize that are wrong, but we all have the basics down. In an average life time, we'll face many, many things that we know what we are doing.

IMO, many people think that hell is unfair, but if you come at it from a different perspective, you can see why its there. People think that God just wants to send people to hell for being bad. However, he wants everyone to come to repentance and not to go to hell. = And I think this is the area where the hell topic gets exciting.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:48 AM #3
visionimpulse2k3
S.N.A.F.U

has been a member for 10 years
According to Catholics....a Mortal sin will send one to hell...but for a sin to be mortal, it must be a serious sin, you must have known it was a sin, and you had to do it on your own will...

Therefore, if you let your children starve because there is no way you can get food....it is not your will to sin by letting your child die...

But of course, if one were to steal a loaf of bread just to survive because there was no other way of getting any....then it wouldnt really be stealing in the same sense, because you are doing it just to survive...

But for stealing to be a mortal sin, it has to be a significant amount...according to the Catechsim anyway

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post18848880
Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM #4
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Chodeyg:

An accident is one thing but ignorance of the law is no excuse. Check Romans 2
Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

You can try to argue about some sins but try to tell me you've never intentionally done something that you know is wrong. We've all violated our consciences. Lied, stolen, hated, etc.

As for the mentally handicapped, most people agree God would treat them the same as children too young to understand. We know that babies that died will be in heaven.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 PM #5
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
We've all violated our consciences. Lied, stolen, hated, etc.
I fail to see why hate is in there. It doesnt violate anyone else for you to hate someone so long as you do not act apon it.

hell all that hate just keeps me warm at night. (for the laughing impaird, that was a joke)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM #6
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
I fail to see why hate is in there. It doesnt violate anyone else for you to hate someone so long as you do not act apon it.

hell all that hate just keeps me warm at night. (for the laughing impaird, that was a joke)
Well, not all hate. There is what you can call righteous indignation. But there is this, from Jesus' sermon on the mount which is what I was thinking of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 5:21-22
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother without cause will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.
Notes: Raca is an Aramaic term of contempt and the Sanhedrin is like a Jewish council of judges.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com