Do you believe in the Bible? - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Bible
Yes 94 43.32%
No 107 49.31%
Unsure 16 7.37%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM #22
Sankarihauta (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nor Cal
I can imagine believing in god, but I could never believe in the bible.
Sankarihauta is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 PM #23
satanisanerd734
Steve Jobs is My Hero
 
satanisanerd734's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
Yes, I do. I believe it is the inerrant word of God.
__________________
flickr my blog

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name."
- Charles H. Spurgeon
satanisanerd734 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 PM #24
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C
 
pbmike15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: columbus ohio
yes i believe in the bible. it, as well as my church and faith, have lead my life to where it is today, and i couldnt be happier with my life.

it has alot of relevence to todays world, despite what many believe. alot of people could learn from it if they would give it a chance.
__________________
-----M REDHAWKS M-----
pbmike15 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 PM #25
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Those who claim it is full of contradictions have most likely never read it entirely. The bible does not contradict itself. Many of the claims made against the bible, like the beating slaves above, are taken out of context, or the words have been twisted and "interpreted" to come to such a conclusion. The bible does not contradict itself, and if anyone has read the bible entirely, in context, feel free to point out any contradiction.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 PM #26
Razzy
Cap'n Crunch Cadet
 
Razzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
Yes and No. I voted No because I lean more than way.

The problem with the bible is that the books are all written by different authors at different time periods with different goals in mind and with different interpretations on God.

And then to **** it up even more it has been changed by the Church countless times to suite the motives of the church.
__________________
"Originally posted by islandboi
i just poop in mine so if anyone says it tastes like **** I say "i sure hope it does" "

"Originally posted by fisherman blind Razzy now owns this thread"
"Originally posted by chodeyg;27741974 We don't kill, we just shoot people until their hearts stop beating."
Razzy is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 PM #27
Slambert'
not a 2k6er
 
Slambert''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: australia
ok well i can def. see the earth isnt billions years old b/c theres too many problems with it.
i found this on a webiste
I. The Top Soil Factor

"It takes around a thousand years to produce one inch of top soil by the forces of erosion such as wind and rain. If the earth is billions of years old and the process by which top soil is created has been functioning all the time (i.e., uniformitarianism) there should be a thick layer of top soil on the earth's crust. But there is only an average depth of six to nine inches of top soil on the earth! This amount can only explain thousands of years of erosion. Where is the top soil created by billions of years of erosion? Where did it go?

II. The Ocean's Floor

Perhaps the vast amount of top soil created by billions of years of erosion has simply washed into the ocean and can be found in sedimentary deposits on its floor. If the earth is billions of years old and the erosion rate has been steady and of such a degree to explain where all the top soil went, the sediment at the bottom of the ocean should be miles deep. But the sediment on the ocean floor only has a 0.56 mile average thickness! This depth can only explain thousands of years and cannot represent billions of years of erosion. Where is the sediment created by billions of years of erosion. Where did it go?

III. Meteor Dust

When meteors collide with the earth's atmosphere they disintegrate into dust which settles on the earth's surface. Given the present rate at which meteor dust is settling on the earth, if the earth is billions of years old there should be at least fifty-four feet of meteor dust on the surface of the planet. Since the depths of top soil and ocean sediment do not contain billions of years of meteor dust, what happened to this dust? Where did it go?

IV. The Helium Factor

As radioactive materials disintegrate, helium is released as a by-product into the atmosphere. Given the present rate at which helium is released into the atmosphere, if the earth is billions of years old, there should be enough helium in the atmosphere to make us all talk like Donald Duck. There is only enough helium in the atmosphere to explain thousands of years. Where did the helium produced by billions of years go?

V. The Salty Sea

Given the present rate at which salt and other materials are being washed into the ocean, if the earth is billions of years old, what should be the concentration of salt in the earth's oceans? There is only enough salt in the ocean to explain thousands of years of erosion. The concentration of such minerals as nickel as well as salt in the earth's oceans would be many times greater if the earth were billions of years old. Where has all the billions of years of salt and other minerals gone?

VI. The Earth's Magnetic Field

The scientific evidence clearly indicates that the earth's magnetic field is decaying. With an understanding of the second law of Thermodynamics, this should be expected. Given the present rate of decay, if the earth were billions of years old, the earth's magnetic field would have passed into nonexistence long ago. If the earth is billions of years old, why does it still have a magnetic field?

VII. Moon Dust

The vehicles prepared for landing on the moon were equipped with special snow shoes because it was assumed that if the moon was billions of years old there should be an incredibly thick layer of dust on the moon created by such things as meteor impact. They discovered only one-fourth of an inch of dust on the moon! This amount of dust can account for only thousands of years. If the moon is billions of years old, where did all the dust accumulated during this time go?

VIII. The Shrinking Sun

The sun is shrinking as its energy is flung into the galaxy. Given the present rate of shrinkage, if the sun is billions of years old, it should have disappeared by now. Or, if the sun is billions of years old, in order for it to have shrunk down to the size it is now, it would have been at the beginning so big that it would have engulfed the space now occupied by most of the planets in this galaxy. If this is true, then where did the planets come from?

IX. Active Volcanoes

Since the earth's moon is a dead world with no active volcanoes, it was assumed that this meant that the moon was billions of years old. It was also assumed that no moons would have active volcanoes. The evidence is now clear that at least one of the moons of Jupiter has active volcanoes. Does not this fact indicate that the assumption of the necessity of billions of years of the age of the universe is erroneous? As a matter of fact, if the universe is billions of years old, why and how should any planet or moon have active volcanoes?

X. The Rings of Saturn

If the universe is billions of years old, we must assume that the rings of Saturn are of this age. Given the rate of orbital and structural decay, if the rings of Saturn are billions of years old, they should have collapsed and blurred into one vast confusion. Yet the rings are so distinct that over a thousand of them can be counted and some of them look as if they were braided by twisting around each other. Given the laws of physics, the rings must be viewed as young and not old. If the rings are billions of years old, why are they clear and distinct?

Conclusion

These are ten puzzling scientific facts which will lead any open-minded person to the conclusion that the universe is a lot younger than billions of years old. We should not let the religious prejudice of the evolutionists force us to accept their doctrines by a blind leap of faith when the scientific evidence does not correspond to their theories."
__________________
LAX


Laxtreme

feedback
Pizza slapping club #2
Slambert' is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 PM #28
paint_ball98 (Banned)
 
paint_ball98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Illinois
no im atheist
paint_ball98 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 PM #29
paintballonaim (Banned)
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Oh yeah, do that. Lots of interesting bibical quotes and stats. For example, did you know that God endorsed slavery so long as slave holders did not beat their slaves so badly as to injure their eyesight or teeth? Also, if a man discovers that his wife is not a virgin on their wedding night he is to stone her to death at her father's doorstep. That is also straight from the Bible. Everyone should read that book.
I'm not sure what's worse - you reading that book or actually believing it...


That's not said in the Bible, and please quote me the verse that says it. The lengths people to go just to slander the Bible... Kinda makes me wonder.


And yes, I believe the Bible.
paintballonaim is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:29 PM #30
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I believe in God's Word.
I believe God's Word is inerrant.
There are no contradictions in God's Word.
I believe God's Word and Science get along just fine and where there seems to be issue, we don't understand one or the other or both as we could/should
I believe in sola scriptura
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM #31
Razzy
Cap'n Crunch Cadet
 
Razzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
I believe in God's Word.
I believe God's Word is inerrant.
There are no contradictions in God's Word.
I believe God's Word and Science get along just fine and where there seems to be issue, we don't understand one or the other or both as we could/should
I believe in sola scriptura
But do you believe that the Bible is the direct word of God? The reason I believe what I believe is that I do not believe it is the direct word but rather an interpretation.
__________________
"Originally posted by islandboi
i just poop in mine so if anyone says it tastes like **** I say "i sure hope it does" "

"Originally posted by fisherman blind Razzy now owns this thread"
"Originally posted by chodeyg;27741974 We don't kill, we just shoot people until their hearts stop beating."
Razzy is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 PM #32
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
But do you believe that the Bible is the direct word of God? The reason I believe what I believe is that I do not believe it is the direct word but rather an interpretation.
I can't speak for him, but I believe it is direct word.

I think that even though the bible was written by various authors through various time periods and compiled and translated by different people, it is still the directly inspired word of God. If God can create the Earth in 7 days, send His Son to die and then rise from the dead, then I trust that He has the ability to send me a book that He approves of.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 PM #33
$tupid$oup
Killing Boats Since 2k5
 
$tupid$oup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: wiscon-son.
I believe in a loose interpretation of it.
__________________
feedback MAZArmy
$tupid$oup is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 AM #34
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
I don't believe in it at all. Sure, it does mention some actual historical events but that doesn't lend any credibility. I have a bookshelf that contains at least 50 fictional books. Almost all of them mention actual historical events at some point.

I think man took stories, blew them up and put them on paper, simple as that. Man has edited the book as they desired. I don't see how anyone can FULLY believe it. Most Christians I know even admit that they don't believe parts of it with the whole "it isn't meant to be taken literally" line. It seems that more and more Christians say that in regards to stories like the Ark. Instead of having blind faith in the story like they are supposed to, they try to make up excuses for the story. Science has PROVEN the ark story to be impossible. Science has proven many of the stories in the bible to be impossible. Now, I guess if you believe in miracles anything is possible. But, every day less and less people believe in miracles, even within the church. I think the bible is definatey on it's way out. That isn't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. Yes, it teaches some good things. But many books do. It also teaches prejudice and other bad things.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:15 AM #35
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
I can't speak for him, but I believe it is direct word.

I think that even though the bible was written by various authors through various time periods and compiled and translated by different people, it is still the directly inspired word of God. If God can create the Earth in 7 days, send His Son to die and then rise from the dead, then I trust that He has the ability to send me a book that He approves of.
If it is the direct word, how do you explain all of the numerous versions of the bible that have drastic differences between them? Are there only certain versions or translations that are direct word? How do you know that the version you are reading is the direct word instead of one of the others? Due to the differences, not all can be the direct word. Some of the differences are so drastic that some Christian organizations go as far as to call them the "Devil Bible". These are fairly common translations I am talking about.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 AM #36
Graber
19 Delta
 
Graber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
I believe in the Bible. Every word of it.

Quick fact: The Bible is the most read book ever, and also the most stolen book ever.

^Can't remember where I read that. ^
__________________
Ecclesiastes 3:8 (KJV) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Graber is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 AM #37
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Technically that isn't possible. You can't believe every word of it because there are contradictions. If you believe a statement that contradicts another then you can't possibly believe in the statement that it contradicts. But, I don't feel like looking them up so feel free to just disregard this as me talking out of my *** if you like.

BTW, have you read every word of the bible? If not, how can you believe something that haven't even read?
^
Thats just me being a smartass. Ignore that.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 AM #38
Aggressive Bill
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern IL
I think the bible is great. I know a lot of people think their are contradictions, but that's only if you don't understand what's going on. They all link together. Sometimes language and writing styles make it a bit hard to see that. Then people have a hard time with a "mean" God in the OT and a loving God in the NT. Once you understand the deeper meanings of what's going on, you see that it all flows together and not opposite. Its pretty cool.
Aggressive Bill is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 AM #39
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker
 
PhantomGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Reality Bites
Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
Technically that isn't possible. You can't believe every word of it because there are contradictions. If you believe a statement that contradicts another then you can't possibly believe in the statement that it contradicts. But, I don't feel like looking them up so feel free to just disregard this as me talking out of my *** if you like.

BTW, have you read every word of the bible? If not, how can you believe something that haven't even read?
^
Thats just me being a smartass. Ignore that.
So you can read Hebrew? If you can't then you should really be careful of what you say. The translations of the bible which you have read are NOT what is actually written. So before you speak you should do more research. I am glad you have your opinions but they are not fully informed.

The bible as written now so english speaking/reading people can understand is a "liberal" translation of what is actually written. If you were to read the books in hebrew and UNDERSTAND hebrew you would quickly learn that the there are many things lost in the translation to english.

Just a little tib bit that needs to be brought out.
__________________
Increase Your Size by 12"
PhantomGhost is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 AM #40
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomGhost View Post
So you can read Hebrew? If you can't then you should really be careful of what you say. The translations of the bible which you have read are NOT what is actually written. So before you speak you should do more research. I am glad you have your opinions but they are not fully informed.

The bible as written now so english speaking/reading people can understand is a "liberal" translation of what is actually written. If you were to read the books in hebrew and UNDERSTAND hebrew you would quickly learn that the there are many things lost in the translation to english.

Just a little tib bit that needs to be brought out.
Everything you've said is common sense that in no way contradicts anything I've posted. It is these liberal translations that I am referring to. Are they not the word of god? You are saying the same thing that I said. What are you arguing with?

The translations I have read are not what is actually written? That doesn't make sense at all. Have you read the entire bible pre-translation? I doubt it. I doubt you can read Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. If not you don't know what is in it and are talking out of yor ***. Maybe you should do a little research before you start talking down to people. How are your opinions any more fully informed than mine is?

EDIT: Why should I be careful of what I say? I someone gonna come beat me up?..lol

Last edited by JoshGrrrr : 12-08-2006 at 09:03 AM.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:41 AM #41
mason_98
Team Fokai
 
mason_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 671 Guam, U.S.A.
I believe in the Bible.
mason_98 is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:53 AM #42
Aggressive Bill
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern IL
I can see where both Josh and Phantom are. The English language does miss out on some things that the Hebrew and Greek do not. I haven't looked at Hebrew as much as Greek. Greek just blows English outta the water.

There are slight differences when translated, but the basic is there. Is it distorted? No. There are just some things that once you look at it from its original language, become much deeper and even make more sense.

There are also bibles out there that are in a more basic English. Personally, I'm not a big fan of them since I like to study more and those bibles aren't meant for that. They are meant for the basic understanding. Are the bibles messed up? Nah. Just helps to look deeper at em.
Aggressive Bill is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump