Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM #1
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
Arrow Cold weather Shocker tips

This is from a thread I made last year, I'm reposting it here since it's definitely cold weather time and there have been some questions floating around.
The original thread can be found here, it's got lots of replaies so if you want to spend an hour gathering responses then there ya go...

This thread applies to all current SP markers, Shocker Nerve Ion, but is especially geared for the Ion owners. This is because the Ion may be your first SP marker for many of you, and there are some cold weather issues you should know about. This will be the gun's first trip through the cold weather season, of course.

Cold weather performs two negative actions on the guns. The main one is that the internals often tend to stick up a little bit, due to the temperature of the grease on the o-rings becomming colder and resisting movement. This isn't always a large problem, but it can lead to some velocity drops and other circumstances that require you to offset your settings (bad for efficiency and consistency). If you experience this problem, what I suggest you do is simply apply a more thick coat of grease onto the firing assembly than you normally would. What this does is help to keep the temperature up on the grease, since it would promote more movement (theoretically). In bad cases, such as if you are playing all throughout the day (more than three hours apart) you may wish to crack the gun open in the middle of the day and quickly give it another coat of grease. Letting it sit a while in the cold won't be good at all, and will cause the same issues in perhaps worse results.
This applies to all the different bolts out there, Shocker or Ion, whatever you're using. Doesn't apply as much to the Nerve becuase it is less o-ring depdant, but can still have the problem.

If you're not using dow and plan to play with the gun during the winter, all I will say is don't come and post "why isn't my gun working". That's all I'm going to say about that....lol

With the Ion in particular, hoses will be more prone to leaking (namely, the hoses that are attached to the barbs) if stress is applied. There isn't much you can do about this, except keep spares on-hand and be prepared to switch them out. Thi is only my guess from the other guns that use similar hoses, but like I said this will be the first cold weather season for the Ion so we'll have to take it as it comes.

Anyways, the only other cold weather issue is regarding barrel breaks on the SFT o-ring. if you don't know, this is the o-ring that is placed inside the body, right in front of the barrel, that seals against the bolt during firing. When it's cold out, this stiff o-ring will stiffen up even more, and can very easily cause some problems when combined with stiff paint. When you fire normally, the paint will squeeze through the o-ring, which is okay if everything is warm and flexible, but not so much in colder conditions.
This applies to the Nerve, Ion, and Shocker.
For this problem, there isn't much you can do. You can try using smaller paint, that should help, or you can try using paint with a more thick shell. In extreme cases you can try removing the 17/90 SFT o-ring and replacing it with a softer 17/70 one, however I will WARN YOU that the softer o-ring will be more prone to popping out of place during regular play, which would be a huge problem if it happened during the middle of a game. I don't normally suggest this o-ring switch, but in the cold weather it may be the only thing you can do (as in, take the risk).

Other than that, the markers should operate just like normal. Hopefully this will cut down on all the cold weather questions, and complaints of similar problems which are being causes by cold weather. It's snowing outside my house right now....

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".

Last edited by Ydna : 11-29-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM #2
ips8
Fear is your only god

thanks ydna, very helpful. learned how to set up ion in winter the hard way and now i wont have to do that when i get my shocker soon
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." Noam Chomsky
ips8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 PM #3
bunkermunkey13 (Banned)

Thanks
bunkermunkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 PM #4
cjrswan (Banned)

cjrswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 PM #5
xXinpayneXx
MW

ydna, you should add to keep your air off inbettween games. As it prevents bolt stick.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM #6
polarpaxton
WooPig

polarpaxton plays in the PSP
polarpaxton plays in the MiLP
polarpaxton helped look for balloons
polarpaxton is an NCPA player
very helpful
NCPA AllStars Lifetime member
Marine T-Shirts, help support USMC paintball in 2015
APL
polarpaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM #7
YimSta
J Yim

Hmm, I noticed that if you apply less lube it will prevent drop off and fsdo. Also, like what Ydna said, Always use Dow 33 (Winter or Summer) and you should have no problems.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 PM #8
Apollo918
Proud 'Fossil' Owner

Apollo918 plays in the PSP
Apollo918 supports Team VICIOUS
nice. and i find that less lube helps too ^^
Old 11-30-2006, 01:16 PM #9
llamajoey
RHCP

llamajoey owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i love u ydna
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM #10
CrJenkins13

Great read, buddy.
CrJenkins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:52 PM #11
pbguy1991
OG pmgwc.

pbguy1991 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
what if u play inside??? not to sound dumb but i don't think they use heat so in the indoors will it b asmuch as a factor???pm me answer please
pbguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:08 PM #12
orange!
i did it for the lulz

orange! owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
orange! has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
subscribed...
Nick Slowiak Fan #32
Bang bang.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM #13
Underachievers-buck
Rampage Paintball

does turning air off really work, i have done both, but the bolt still sticks sometimes?
Underachievers-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:22 PM #14
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Shouldn't make a difference to turn it off. THe gun will be pressurized regardless.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 AM #15
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Had a gun unable to cycle fully in the cold...Removing the SFT oring fixed the problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 AM #16
jongurley

So removing the SFT oring doesn't hurt or affect anything,,,,
jongurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 PM #17
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
oooh no...you will generally experience blowback in the feedtube and occasionally you cna see the efficiency go down if it's a lot. If that doesn't matter then you can take it out.

As told by Stobaeus
Old 12-06-2006, 09:11 PM #18
Aug Sauce
Rain Paint

I like to keep the gun in the car between games.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 PM #19
chocolateandnikes
I stay Flossin

i have a tourney this weeknd hopefully all goes well its supposed to be like 40 degrees
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 PM #20
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

is there anything YDNA cant do? The answer is obviously no, he is clearly a god amongst men.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM #21
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jonezed7 plays in the APPA D5 division
Jonezed7 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
awww, SWEET MAN!