PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 PM #1
ishkive2

mechanical ion

i saw a thread on a mechanical ion a wile back... can anyone give me the link... thanx
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2006, 09:34 PM #2
geekyPBmaniac
~ASMC Member~

geekyPBmaniac helped look for balloons
geekyPBmaniac owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
geekyPBmaniac supports Team VICIOUS
is that even possible?

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 4 seconds.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 PM #3
ishkive2

yah someguy fit a a/c 3 way in the ion frame and hooked it up to the trigger so when you pulled the trigger it tripped the 3way and distributed the air accordingly
Old 11-22-2006, 09:37 PM #4
geekyPBmaniac
~ASMC Member~

geekyPBmaniac helped look for balloons
geekyPBmaniac owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
geekyPBmaniac supports Team VICIOUS
now im really interesed (sp?) in seeing this
Old 11-22-2006, 10:00 PM #5
ishkive2

anyone got the link... if u got it just put it up on here
Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 PM #6
ZachG

well if it was mechanical then it wouldnt be an ion, just a mech gun with ion parts
SBC Member #3

Team Impact, MS

Put This In Your Sig if Your Parents Don't Pay For Your Stuff.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 PM #7
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
Information can be found here: http://www.zdspb.com/customwork/mechion.html

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 PM #8
37bps
37bps, possible?

i didn't think that was possible, now i am interested.

Smart Parts Ion
Including; T-board Board, Hybrid Grips, Cp Sling Trigger, Redz Pepper Stix [14in], Smart Parts Q-lock Feedneck, Clippard Qev.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:32 PM #9
D13seven
Monkeyfoopoo

ok yeah that's pretty awesome
Old 11-22-2006, 11:38 PM #10
EgoBeliever
Climbin' in yo windows

Very simple, awesome idea.

Im confused tho. It was stated that thr fir chamber was completely emptied during firing? How is this possible as it looks like there is a non-interuptable flow of air to the rear banjo? Or is the recharge time so slow that its clsoe enough to empty?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 AM #11
nisser96746
Mikey(NowYouAllNoWhoIam)

isnt that basiclly a phuentic mag?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:55 AM #12
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
They're both blowforwards, but the designs are very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoBeliever View Post
Im confused tho. It was stated that thr fir chamber was completely emptied during firing? How is this possible as it looks like there is a non-interuptable flow of air to the rear banjo? Or is the recharge time so slow that its clsoe enough to empty?
That would be the case with a stock bolt, but the one I use in the gun is modified to seal off the air inlet.
Without the modification, the setup would still work, ie fire a ball. But it'd be horrid on the air consumption since a lot would be wasted.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 11-23-2006, 01:15 AM #13
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
Other than making the bolt seal when forward why didnt you leave the inputs where they were? Why did you tap the side of the asa to feed the rear? Why wouldnt you put a t-fitting on the hose that feeds the threeway and send one line to the regular rear banjo like normal and another to the 3way? Wouldnt this be doable with just a T fitting, a dual oring bolt, and a 3way or valve such as the fabco msv series(used in pneumags, it only has an input and output and an exhaust)? I would think that would take care of everything.

Edit:
Wouldnt it be even easier on a DM(pre dye or with dye) by just replacing all of the electronics/noid with a cocker 3way straight up. That would be the only thing you would need to do right?

Oh and by the way I love the updated animations. There are a lot fo new ones since the last time I checked. I use your site a lot with those and these only make it that much better. Thank you for hosting them. It makes my life easier for it.

Last edited by benzy2 : 11-23-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 PM #14
-Ion- (Banned)

http://www.zdspb.com/media/video/mechanicalion3.wmv

that's a video from their website.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 PM #15
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
I could have used a t-fitting for the air, but there were two reasons why I did that I did instead. First is because I wanted it to look differnet. Second is because I found this to be less work since I already had all the parts needed, and only had to drill and tap a few things to make it work.

The original Mechion....back in 2005....was way different. It used an LP tank system that attached directly to the swivel donut only. Air was then routed backwards down out the donut to feed the three-way. I redid the gun earlier this year so I could use a regular vertical reg and Hp tank with it.

You could do the same mod to a matrix but sealing things off can be tricky, since the solenoid uses such large ports.

I've got a sweet new animation coming up....it shows the EXACT movement of an ion bolt, with and without a QEV. I just started on the drawings today, hopefully it'll be up in a few days.

As told by Stobaeus
Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 PM #16
buddhamonk
ψ

buddhamonk is a founding member
YDNA, what happened to your SRC ION BOLT UPGRADE you had going? I was looking forward to that.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 PM #18
x360todamaxyo
xxKSExx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisser96746 View Post
isnt that basiclly a phuentic mag?
those are sweet.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 AM #19
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
You could do the same mod to a matrix but sealing things off can be tricky, since the solenoid uses such large ports.
Doesnt a matrix bolt seal in the forward position? I thought the way they worked the dump chamber was never open to both the atmosphere and the input at the same time. Also wouldnt that be the case with dual oring ion bolts? Maybe Im missing something but I thought they sealed the input off when the bolt was forward, again the same as matrix bolts.

I cant wait for your animations.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:09 PM #20
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Yeah, the matrix bolt seals it off right from the factory. The Ion stock bolts don't do this, but they can be modified to do it by adding an additional o-ring groove to the tail (which is what I did for this gun and others).
The designs of the Matrix and Ion are very similar, at least in the way the parts are laid out. Logistically they're different, but that's to be expected. the only tough thing about converting a Matrix to mechanical is that the ports the solenoid uses are larger and difficult to just tap and be done with it. You'd have to get tricky with the connections for the three-way.

As told by Stobaeus