The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
DWELL QUESTIONS |How to set Dwell and Common Questions| DWELL QUESTIONS

What is Dwell?
  • "Dwell" is the amount of time the solenoid remains open (measured in milliseconds, or ms for short), which translates to how long the bolt will stay forward. This determines the length of time the Ion's valve will release air to fire the paintball.
  • Increases in dwell will generally increase your velocity as well, although there are working limits to this.
  • On the stock board, dwell is adjusted in half-millisecond intervals, starting at 8 milliseconds. This means the lowest setting on the board is 8-ms, first setting up is 8.5-ms, then 9-ms, 9.5-ms, etc etc. The stock dwell setting is 52 blinks from the bottom (34-ms).
  • We don't recommend you adjust the dwell unless you wish to spend time [and air] fine-tuning the marker, to possibly receive better performance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

How to set Dwell

1. Pressurize your Ion at whatever input pressure you wish to use. We suggest between 150-180 psi, depending on the internals. The following steps involve you dry-firing the marker (firing it without paint).
  2. Lower the dwell setting to the minimum (or an extremely low setting, such as 5 blinks with the stock board, or 8 milliseconds with an aftermarket board).
  3. Gradually increase dwell until the marker begins to fully cycle. When the marker has trouble cycling, the sound of the bolt firing will be muffled and sound erratic, denoting inconsistencies. When you reach the point where it fully cycles, the marker will make a loud POP for each shot you take, with minimal sound difference between the shots.
  4. Once the Ion is fully cycling, increase the dwell another 4-6 blinks (2-3 milliseconds with aftermarket board), and that will be your dwell setting.

Dwell In Relation to ROF/Recharge
  • Definition: "Recharge rate" is the term used to describe the length of time after the dwell has expired, before the marker will be allowed to fire again. So, the higher you set the recharge setting, the lower the Rate of Fire will be. This is because there's more time between shots, slowing the ROF down. And vice-versa.
  • To determine your Rate of Fire (ie. 10-bps, 15-bps, etc) the Ion stock board uses a combination of Dwell and Recharge. A calculator to figure out exact combinations can be found here. You should always set your dwell to its optimal setting (detailed above) before adjusting the Recharge setting.
  • Most of you have heard of the infamous "48 Rule". This rule has created many misconceptions about Recharge and what it's used for. Basically, the 48 rule says "set your dwell and recharge so they add up to 48, which will set the marker to 'exactly' 17-bps". This is totally useless and the marker will fire the exact same regardless of if you follow it. Therefore we suggest you IGNORE IT.
  • Recharge is only used to determine the max ROF for the marker. Recharge has nothing to do with consistency, efficiency, recoil, or ANY other factor! All it will do is slow down or speed up your maximum cycling speed. It has no influence on how the marker fires at all. You're only adjusting the ROF, so the gun will fire the exact same regardless of where its set (basically).

Frequently Asked Questions

The manual calls it the ROF setting, not Recharge...can you clarify?
  • Yes, the manual labels the Recharge setting as the "ROF setting". We now refer to it as recharge because it's a better explanation of what the actual setting does. In short, Recharge is just an amount of time added to the dwell time to determine how fast the gun can be shot.
    The reason we don't call it ROF is because you're not setting the marker's actual speed in balls-per-second. For instance, setting the stock board's recharge setting to "10 blinks" won't set the board to 10-bps. This causes confusion, so we call it something else (recharge instead of "ROF").

This diagram shows that when you increase your dwell setting, the recharge will stay the same, thus the ROF will be lower since the firing cycle takes longer. To compensate you need to then lower the recharge. This is an example and uses example numbers.

If I set my Recharge setting to 0, what will it do to my gun?
  • This will allow your Ion to fire at its maximum Rate of Fire. This will in no way affect the performance of your gun (see explanation above).

What Dwell do you recommend with my setup of...?
  • The best way to find your dwell setting is detailed above and everyone should attempt to follow the directions on Fine Tuning your dwell. Every Ion is different so nobody will be able to tell you what you should "set it at".

** Special thanks to Ydna (www.zdspb.com) for providing the information provided here **

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████

Last edited by Ydna : 06-21-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Kolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM #2
heysueskreesto2

there goes all the dwell questions
thank god
*bows*

well... actually, since apparently no one reads the stickys when they should.... barely any will go away. we'll just be able to provide a quicker link to people

so annoying
ive been through them about three times each

Last edited by heysueskreesto2 : 11-01-2006 at 08:50 PM.
heysueskreesto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM #3
colpep (Banned)

kolder what is my rof set at if its all the way up wouldnt be 0? and is 46 a good dwell setting my ion is all stock? thanks dude
colpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:53 PM #4
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpep View Post
kolder what is my rof set at if its all the way up wouldnt be 0?
In the manual the "Recharge" setting is labeled as the ROF setting. We now refer to it as recharge because it is a better explanation of what the actual setting does. In short Recharge is just an amount of time added to the dwell time to determine how fast the gun can be shot.

The higher you set the recharge setting the lower the Rate of Fire will be. The lower you set the Recharge setting the higher the Rate of Fire will be.

In the case of the stock board settings, you would lower recharge to it's lowest possible setting and the board will be capped at a Maximum Rate of Fire of 17bps.

The exact instructions of capping the board at 17 bps(Keep in mind the stock board has been set by SP to shoot no faster then 17bps).

1. Open the guns grips and press the gray Programming button.
  2. Push the gray programming button until you reach the Single Blink Red setting.
  3. Now push the power button multiple times until the yellow led in the grip frame stops blinking.
  4. To exit the programming mode, push the trigger once. After pushing the trigger, turn the board off to save the settings. If you pull the battery, the new setting will revert back to whatever it was last set to.

Quote:
and is 46 a good dwell setting my ion is all stock? thanks dude
  • The best way to find your dwell setting is detailed above and every one should attempt to follow the directions on Fine Tuning your dwell. An estimated number received online will not be the most efficient and consistent setting for your particular Ion.

████████████████████████
Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM #5
colpep (Banned)

ok i what my dwell on my ion set to 46 dont i put the board in soild red and press the power button til it stops blinking so i know its at 0 then put it in soild yellow and press the power button 46 times to set it? and r these good settings if my dwell is at 46 and my rof is all the way up? thanks.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:17 PM #6
ProtoxxPaintball
USAF

ProtoxxPaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoxxPaintball supports our troops
ProtoxxPaintball is an NCPA player
ProtoxxPaintball supports Empire
Put dwell at 48 and a ROF(recharge) of zero, these are great settings and will not cause noticable drop off.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 PM #7
colpep (Banned)

why not 46 on my dwell?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 PM #8
asdffdsaasdf
Smasher of Keyboards

nice CAD work
asdffdsaasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM #9
KLUG

On the stock board don't you have to put it all the way up for it to be at the fastest/lowest setting?
XSV Fan #1285
Thomas "Troll" Taylor fan #258
druid555@hotmail.com.
Most users ever online was 5,260, 11-15-2006 at 09:08 PM.
^^I was there^^
KLUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM #10
m@st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUG View Post
On the stock board don't you have to put it all the way up for it to be at the fastest/lowest setting?
they recomend a 48 dwell and 0 rof
for a stock gun

str8killasftw
m@st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM #11
opu558 (Banned)

to put the recharge to 0 do i put my board on my ion on single blink red and press the power button til the blinking stops? and by having my dwell at 48 and my recharge at 0 will my ion get the full 17bps on semi and rebound and the full 10bps on full auto and three burst?
opu558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 PM #12
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhty552 View Post
^^ yea could someone answer this i have the same question?
Yes single blink red setting push the power button until the yellow light in the grip frame stops flashing.

Those settings will give you the full 17 bps.

████████████████████████
Old 11-09-2006, 12:20 PM #13
Dabble

How do I know what my dwell is currently set to? I have a t-board and qev.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:44 PM #14
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble View Post
How do I know what my dwell is currently set to? I have a t-board and qev.
To find out what the setting is currently set to, you have to decrease the setting all the way down to the bottom and count the number of times the LED blinks. When it stops blinking, you've hit the bottom. Whatever number you counted was the current setting. Now you will have to increase it back up to your new amount.
Example: to find out what your dwell is set to, select solid red to decrease it. Hold the power button and count the number of times the yellow LED blinks. Once it stops blinking you've hit the bottom. If the LED blinks 50 times, then the last setting was 50 from the bottom. If it blinked 60 times, then the setting was at 60 from the bottom. etc.
Now select solid yellow so you can set the new dwell setting. Hold the power button and count the number of times the red LED blinks, and stop once you've reached your new desired setting. For instance if you count 40 blinks, the new setting will be 40. Pull the trigger and turn the gun off. The board is now all ready to go, when you turn it back on.

Note: there is no way to "reset" the board back to the stock settings.

████████████████████████
Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 PM #15
only4theweak187

Quote:
ok i what my dwell on my ion set to 46 dont i put the board in soild red and press the power button til it stops blinking so i know its at 0 then put it in soild yellow and press the power button 46 times to set it? and r these good settings if my dwell is at 46 and my rof is all the way up? thanks.
so you have to press the power button 46 times ( or how many u want ) to actually set the dwell?
only4theweak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:53 AM #16
titopocket

can someone tell me what dwell setting 2 use if I have a tboard,virtue qev, and a tech t l7 bolt. I don't have time 2 fine tune and I no an estimate won't be ther best, but I still wana noe a genral place 2 start
titopocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:51 PM #17
DLSPaintball
Team Breakout

Kolder, can you give me a better exlanation of what you mean by the bolt fully cycling, like what you'd see if you were looking down the feedneck or something, because I have a T-Board and Virtue QEV, and I set the dwell to 6ms and the bolt will cross the feedneck about halfway, and it's quiet when it shoots, but I don't know if that's fully cycling or not.
Smart Parts Ion w/ Ups: 14" Freak w/ .693 and Reball Inserts, Silver Smart Parts Body, Extreme Rage Twistlock Feedneck, Clippard QEV, ****** Eyes (Green), CP Reg, CP Roller Trigger, NDZ Rail, NDZ On/Off w/ Bleed, Scenario Dreams Ion T-Board w/ Membrane Pad, Tech-T L7 Bolt, Orange Ball Detents, ****** Easy On/Off Button, and Contract Killer Grips.

My Feedback > +2/-0

Free, quick, and easy money!
DLSPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 PM #18
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
A fully-cycling bolt is one that will fire a gun at approx 280-300 fps (normal velocities). The bolt will close all the way as it should. In the absense of a chronograph this will sound "loud" and any additional shots you fire will be the same noise volume.

When the gun doesn't cycle right, the sounds may sound different (one be a puff and another is a louder pop). The bolt won't move forward and stay there long enough for air to be fully-dumped.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 PM #19
JetTech

when you program your board do you want the eyes on oer off?

the same goes for dry firing eyes on or off?

Last edited by JetTech : 11-21-2006 at 04:24 PM.
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 PM #20
DLSPaintball
Team Breakout

When you're actually prgramming, eyes on or off doesn't affect the programming. However, you want the eyes on for actual play, but you most likely don't set that in the programming. As for dry fire, they must be off since there is nothing in the breech and it wouldn't fire if they were on.
Smart Parts Ion w/ Ups: 14" Freak w/ .693 and Reball Inserts, Silver Smart Parts Body, Extreme Rage Twistlock Feedneck, Clippard QEV, ****** Eyes (Green), CP Reg, CP Roller Trigger, NDZ Rail, NDZ On/Off w/ Bleed, Scenario Dreams Ion T-Board w/ Membrane Pad, Tech-T L7 Bolt, Orange Ball Detents, ****** Easy On/Off Button, and Contract Killer Grips.

My Feedback > +2/-0

Free, quick, and easy money!
DLSPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM #21
TBSensesFail
Mowing faces since 2002

Shouldn't you test your dwell with paint as dry firing may give you different results than with paint? Like if you dry fire while testing, isn't it possible that the dwell may not be right for when you use paint?

[||][||][||][||][||]
Put this in your sig if you're a Guitar Hero
TBSensesFail is offline   Reply With Quote