PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-27-2003, 03:44 PM #1
amcfall

has been a member for 10 years
solenoid valve questions

Have a few solenoid related questions. Hopefully they're not too dumb :-)

I'm talking about electronic 3 and 4 way valves, not push/pull solenoids.

If the specs for a valve don't list flow at a particular pressure, but give me the Cv, can I calculate the flow at some given pressure (like 100PSI)? Or do I need more info?

Are there any good online sources for Mac/Skinner/Humphrey valves? The clippards are easy to get since they sell direct, but most of the other ones I've found are sold through paintball stores, and they want lots of money ($60 plus). I only paid like $23 for my clippard mouse valve, but I think the .6 SCFM is too little.... We'll see!

Last question.... For those of you that have tried various valves, which compact 3 way would you recommend if I'm looking for high flow (only need to handle about 100PSI) and a high cycle rate?

TIA

Avery
Old 09-01-2003, 10:07 AM #2
the electrician

yes.

ha! just kiddin. yeah the Cv rating is like a ratio you can use it to plug in some pressure and the Cv value and get a flow volume for a specific time.

I can't for the life of me remember where I saw the downloads available.

what is your application? what size cylinder are you going to control with it?

alot of valves used in paintball are 4-ways, direct acting and a few air-piloted models. most are from .11 Cv to .06 Cv.

SMC valves are great and they are used on racegun, e-blade, angels and some matrix models, but they are really proud of their stuff.

humphrey makes great valves and they are now used in excaliburs, some matrix models. but they are a bit hard to find

I use the 44 series MAC valves because they are cheap and easy to get. they are a bit bigger than the others, but they are very fast direct acting, and high flow.

some info can be found here: http://airsoldier.com/~haveblue/tech/

this guys website is a great source of info.

if I find that Cv equation download, I'll let you know in this thread.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:31 AM #3
amcfall

I'm working on a few things, but the reason I'm looking for a high flow 3 way is for a Nova I'm working on. I'm getting a few solenoids to see if any of them flow well enough to drive the spool directly. I've got a few Humphreys I'm planning on getting, and I'll check out the macs as well, see if they have a 3 way version of the 44 series.

Thanks

Avery
Old 09-01-2003, 12:02 PM #4
the electrician

I've got some software that might help.

what size is the chamber in cu in. that needs to be filled and at what psi? I can give you some scfm requirements to do the job.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:01 PM #5
wadd

where can i find a 35 series mac online? Anywhere where you can actually order one? I can't find them anywhere.

Also, related question... If you run 2 wires from a solenoid straight to a battery, will it automatically open? Here's what I want:

I want to be able to put 150psi in an air chamber, hooked up to a solenoid. Flip a switch, and have that solenoid dump the entire 150 psi into another chamber. Can I just get a battery, switch, and solenoid? Basically, I'm building a proxy mine for scenario games. I'm getting a motion detector and a solenoid, and I'm going to fill a tube to about 150 psi, and another tube full of liquid paint. When someone walks by, the motion detector senses them, gives power to the solenoid, the solenoid opens, and dumps the 150 psi from the first tube into the second tube, full of paint, blowing paint all over whoever just walked by. I have no electronics background at all.
Jeremy

Last edited by wadd : 09-01-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:23 PM #6
the electrician

well yeah you can, but it's not going to go back off by itself you need to be able to control it of course.

as long as the voltage is close and the power source can handle the load, and the flow rate is what you are looking for, then yeah it would probably work.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:35 PM #7
wadd

Yeah, it's a 1 shot thing... It'll dump all the air behind it, then just sit there uuntil the end of the 15-20 minute game, until I can go and hit the switch that'll be between the battery and the motion detector. It's fine if it sits open for a while.
Jeremy
Old 09-02-2003, 10:03 PM #8
detroit

the electrician can can make boards or help me with some thing am working on email me at order@blingblingproducts.com thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 06:24 PM #9
Iceman

Hey amc are you trying to make a Novacocker like they were talking about along time ago or is this you just trying to improve on the nova design as it is . Just wondering because i was trying to come up with the same set up i think? I still haven't gotten my nova so i don't know what they look like internally. I know there's websites with them taken apart but they blow my mind, i don't understand something unless is see it in person. Anyway good look with whatever your trying to accomplish sounds interesting.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:26 AM #10
amcfall

I'm just messing around with different methods of operating the nnova electrically. The first (REALLY ugly) method was just like the ET, where you use a 3 way to actuate a small ram that actuates the trigger switch. Now I want to try removing the trigger assembly (which is a mechanical 3 way rated at like 6 SCFM @ 100PSI) and running the spool directly off of a electronic 3 way. This way I can make a thinner plate so the gun shouldn't be as tall.

However, I found this on warpig:

The Nova's designer, Mike Wood found that solenoid valves large enough to replace the 4 way trigger valve of the Nova were to bulky, and required too much power to be practical. Instead he chose a light, compact Clippard solenoid valve to actuate the 4 way valve.

So I have no idea whether or not it'll actually work.