If you want to be a success on the field, here are some great quick tips to get you and your game started!
shoot or get shot! - very important.
Play with your wrist tucked in, on the front of your tank.
If shooting right handed point your lead foot toward your opponent, & vise versa.
Dont expose your loader out of the bunker.
Dont play with your tank on top of shoulder. Place between your chest and collar bone and shoulder.
Dont aim with your marker near your face bring your head to the marker. Only bending knees not your back.
Play tight against the bunkers if possible, and be constantly aware of your surroundings. Paintball tunnel vision is a very easy thing to do, avoid it!
Start shooting as soon as your barrel is exposed beyond the bunker, in and out of the bunker, 1-5 shots.
Dont over expose yourself to your opponent.
Be Aggresive, but know where you are shooting.
Practice snapshooting behind your couch or furniture, and or doarways.
Practice making your fingers stronger for faster snapshooting, there are some small excersises for this.
Put a rubberband Over your fingers(your walking fingers), and practice walking.[this builds finger strength]
JUST PRACTICE WITH WHAT AND WHENEVER YOU CAN!!!
Remember to practice this more with your non dominant hand. Being ampidextrous is one of the most needed skills in paintball.
Wrap Around Bunkers(back)
Balance is a big issue here. Be fast on your feet.
Quickly wrap around bunker and snap shoot.
Remember Paintball tunnel vision IS VERY BAD!!! avoid it at all costs. If you are laying down paint non stop on your bunker you have been focusing on then the opponent isint going to be soo sure to pop his head up. Look around all angles from your position at your bunker. be aware of those surroundings!!!
Expect the unexpected!!! Because believe me, this happens a lot. while shooting you have to think about possible advances and opponents moves.
If you think an opponent is behind a bunker, shoot there.
Dont be arrogant.
A lot of begginers get phyced out easy. go in with confidence! The first time you play you arent going to be amazing, I can tell you that. But as long as you think and use common sense your on the right track. A good motivational helper is music! I personally like listening to intense music before I enter the field.
Shooting With Both Hands
You must learn to shoot with both hands(ampidextrous), no exceptions.
From switching from one side of the bunker to another, tip marker forward, turn to your angle, raise marker, start shooting again.
Practice walking with both hands.
Know how to play the bunker!
Loading Hopper while Firing
This takes mental concentration.
Hold your marker with your select hand.
Put hand behind back, pull pod, and open.
Be aware of your surroundings, and poor the pod.
Practice this many times before games, because you dont want to poor pods worth of paint on the ground, and have none in the hopper.
Running and Shooting
Dont move your upper body.
Run as fast as you can.
Look above your hopper when shooting.
Dont stumble, or trip. (obviously)
Practice in your backyard. Do Sprinting drills with this running stance.
You may want to run with your hands in front of you, it is personal preference, This is done to hopefully get bounces off the break.
KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! AT ALL TIMES!!! Dont over run it or anything of that nature!
Diving and Sliding
1.) How to slide
- Depending on what your preferences are sliding is basically simple.
Superman dive/slide - basically a headfirst slide into position, some people make the mistake of diving totally on there stomach, you want to dive in headfirst, and land on your hip/stomach area, using your arms and elbows as balance, then crouch up to your knees then resume and get back into stance.
Regular sliding feet first- if you have ever played baseball you can use your sliding skills for that in paintball... basic sliding feet first into an area. Left or right bent folded under other leg, kind of looks like a backwards 4.
Knee sliding - while ready to slide land on your knees, tilt your back, back a little soo your knees dont catch and you do a face plant, then slide into position.
Invest in sliding shorts.
Wear extra padding in areas your more vulnerable.(knee pads, elbow pads)
To not land on your tank remember in the superman dive keep your marker as far away from your body as possible, but hold on tight.
If you can communicate with your team you can acomplish a lot.
Listen for your teamates
Next time you play, talk to your team about having different names for different objects, such as, bunkers, and plays. Refer to points on the field by yardage.
Even though you are listening you have to be aware of whats around you, paintball does take multitasking.
Positional Tips/Other Tips
- A front player is offence of your team. front players are usally more fit, you are the guys making key plays in a game, be on top of your game at all times, practice snap shooting, shooting with both hands, and physcological moves.
- Practice shooting with both hands, and wrap arounds, also be ready to lay down as much paint as possible to clear lanes for your front players to advance and make their moves.You are the person calling out positions for the Front and Mid players, you have the whole field infront of you.
- Take what you have read from both front and back, and squeeze them together, you have to be able to play the field in any situation.
- Timing, is one of the most important basics of bunkering, you have to know when to bunker your opponent, or it could be a waste. never look back, take chances and catch them off guard!
- Senses, looking and hearing your opponent.
- Control him, shoot where he is, make him hide. Or just sneak up on an unsuspecting player.
- Usually practiced more by front players.
Walk the Field
- One of the most important aspects of winning a game is getting to know the field. Bring your whole team with and walk it, plan out strategies, and have plans for different problems, practice leaning out of the bunkers. You and the field must become one to do as well as possible in game.
Diet and Fitness
- Although not intirely important to everyone, having energy and being fit during a game is crucial. EAT HEALTHY...that sentence is not that hard to follow. Dont snack, dont drink soda, dont eat high saturated fatty foods. Eat high protein and High carb foods. And eat an average of 4-6 meals of day while weight training. Drink water and lots of it. Water is the healthiest form of liquid for you. Drink a sports drink like Gatorade for quick digesting carbs and electrolytes. The best way to burn calories is Cardio, Plain and simple.(run, run, run, bike, swim.) For most people this will be adequate enough for their fitness. For you whom want to gain muscle mass a high intensity workout is the best way to go. Do a mixed variety of machines and lifting to get the most potential out of your workout. Mix up your excercises every 2-3 weeks because when you are repeating the same routine everyday for more then 2-3 weeks your muscles will not be worked to their full potential. Take a multi-vitamin everyday if possible(if you can buy ones with added amino acids, that is great. I personally take GNC Mega Mens Sport multivitamin. Take your wanted suppliments. Your workout routine should not be a mix of working every part of your body at once. Days should be scheduled with different parts being worked in that day... For example my routine. Mon
= Chest, Tricep, Bicep, Forarm. Tues
= Abs, obliques, and Legs. Wend
= Shoulders, upper and lower back, and neck. Thurs
= Abs, Obliques, Legs. Fri
= Bicep, Tricep, Chest, Forarm. For whom are doing both cardio and weight training always do Cardio after weight training this is best in development of muscle growth. Here is a list of good articles on above.
- always come prepared to play, wear appropriate clothing matter and safety gear such as a jersey, paintball pants, padding(knee pads, elbow pads, sliding shorts), cleats, and others. Dress appropriate for the weather, Dont wear Sweaters in the summer, they can cause heat stroke in hot weather, dont wear Tank tops in cold weather, this could cause just plain coldness, frostbite/nip. Dress for the occasion!!!
No matter how great your equipment is, it doesnt make you a good player.
Learn from others and take advise from older players, they are your teachers soo to speak.
PRACTICE, this game has to be practiced it takes time and effort to better yourself in this game.
Hope this helps!!!
I will add more if you would like,
PM me with ideas or requests!