PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM #1
Ghostfire (Banned)

Criticizing Cheney is considered Assault

Another terrible day in the Orwellian United States. A man in Colorado was arrested by the secret service after telling Dick Cheney that the Regime’s policies in Washington regarding Iraq are "reprehensible". We are at the point at which a real crack down upon dissenting opinion can happen with total impunity.

http://www.progressive.org/mag_mc100406

excerpts from article:

“I didn’t even know he was in town,” Howards says. “He was walking through the area shaking hands. Initially, I walked past him. Then I said to myself, ‘I can’t in good conscience let this opportunity pass by.’ So I approached him, I got about two feet away, and I said in a very calm tone of voice, ‘Your policies in Iraq are reprehensible.’ And then I walked away.”

Howards says he knew the Administration has a “history of making problems” for people who protest its policies, so he wanted to leave off at that.

But the Secret Service did not take kindly to his comment.“About ten minutes later, I came back through the mall with my eight-year-old son in tow,” Howards recalls, “and this Secret Service man came out of the shadows, and his exact words were, ‘Did you assault the Vice President?’ ”

Here’s how Howards says he responded: “No, but I did tell Mr. Cheney the way I felt about the war in Iraq, and if Mr. Cheney wants to be shielded from public criticism, he should avoid public places. If exercising my constitutional rights to free speech is against the law, then you should arrest me.”

Which is just what the agent, Virgil D. “Gus” Reichle Jr, proceeded to do.

“He grabbed me and cuffed my hands behind my back in the presence of my eight-year-old son and told me I was being charged with assault of the Vice President,”Howards recalls.

He says he told the agent, “I can’t abandon my eight-year-old son in a public mall.”

According to Howards, Reichle responded: “We’ll call Social Services.” Before that could happen, however, “my son ran away and found my wife,” who was nearby, Howards says.

“I was never arrested before,” he says. “I don’t have so much as a speeding ticket.”

**** YOU CHENEY!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM #2
Bobeo
-Life Is Good-

has been a member for 10 years
I am 100% sure that there is more to the story than that. Contrary to what you might believe, Cheney doesn't give a **** what you think, and wouldn't have you arrested for telling him his "policies in Iraq are reprehensible."
Old 10-06-2006, 02:55 PM #3
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
I've always thought of Cheney as a positive and charismatic guy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Old 10-06-2006, 03:00 PM #4
Ghostfire (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeo
I am 100% sure that there is more to the story than that. Contrary to what you might believe, Cheney doesn't give a **** what you think, and wouldn't have you arrested for telling him his "policies in Iraq are reprehensible."
Really? Care to share the other side of the story? In a country where the Online Child Predator Czar gets nailed for seducing young pages, is it so outrageous to think Cheney could lock you up for having a different opinion? I don't think so.But you're right, there is indeed more to this story.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...039230,00.html

http://kutv.com/wyomingwire/WY--Chen...rces_news_html

It was at least the second lawsuit filed in Colorado by people who say they were singled out for criticizing the administration. Three people who were kicked out of President Bush's town hall meeting in Denver in March 2003 alleged they were told to leave because of a "No blood for oil" bumper sticker on their car.

http://www.casperstartribune.net/art...fc0053bc2b.txt

...Blair crossed the street instead and held up his banner criticizing Cheney. Cops arrested him for disorderly conduct. The Indiana Civil Liberties Union filed a suit on Blair's behalf.

http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/censo...s20050926.html
Old 10-06-2006, 03:00 PM #5
violentmonkey

witnesses?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:01 PM #6
sdomen (Banned)

Quote:
no. wrong. done.

It has happened numerous times.

Cindy Shehan was removed from the state of the union for wearing an anti-war shirt and was threatened with prosecution.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM #7
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdomen
no. wrong. done.

Cindy Shehan was removed from the state of the union for wearing an anti-war shirt and was threatened with prosecution.
Littering on federal property is a major fine.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM #8
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!

Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
prolly more to the story...i mean during Katrina, some dude dropped f-bombs all over him and nothing happened.

Is that guy still alive?

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed

I know, right?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:37 PM #9
MurderDeathKill
# Pissed Off Today: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfire
Really? Care to share the other side of the story? In a country where the Online Child Predator Czar gets nailed for seducing young pages, is it so outrageous to think Cheney could lock you up for having a different opinion? I don't think so.But you're right, there is indeed more to this story.

It was at least the second lawsuit filed in Colorado by people who say they were singled out for criticizing the administration. Three people who were kicked out of President Bush's town hall meeting in Denver in March 2003 alleged they were told to leave because of a "No blood for oil" bumper sticker on their car.

...Blair crossed the street instead and held up his banner criticizing Cheney. Cops arrested him for disorderly conduct. The Indiana Civil Liberties Union filed a suit on Blair's behalf.

Every defendant always says they're innocent, I hope you realize that...
Old 10-06-2006, 04:41 PM #10
Bobeo
-Life Is Good-

Quote:

Notice, I never said it didn't happen. I simply said that there is probably more to the story than what the anti-Bush-administration-person-who-was-arrested said.

And, I am probably right.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:43 PM #11
Ghostfire (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderDeathKill
Every defendant always says they're innocent, I hope you realize that...
Indeed. But not every defendant is suing a Secret Service Agent, in which the defendant will probably win.

So what is your point? Seems like the agent is on trial here. I bet he is claiming he's innocent too. Do you realize that?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:50 PM #12
Ghostfire (Banned)

Quote:
Notice, I never said it didn't happen. I simply said that there is probably more to the story than what the anti-Bush-administration-person-who-was-arrested said.

And, I am probably right.
Alright, you want some evidence. Fair enough. I'll be sure to follow the trial, because I doubt the mainstream press will. Remember this man has no record of offending the law before this incident. Can you say the same for Cheney? Nope.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:04 PM #13
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

This is nothing that the Bush Admin started. In fact, I distinctly remember an incident when Clinton was pres. where a guy was at a Clinton rally and when Billy tried to shake his hand, he told the Pres. that he wasn't going to vote for him. The Secret Service slapped on the cuffs and arrested him. I'd be curious to hear what statute was violated.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:16 PM #14
Ghostfire (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1
This is nothing that the Bush Admin started. In fact, I distinctly remember an incident when Clinton was pres. where a guy was at a Clinton rally and when Billy tried to shake his hand, he told the Pres. that he wasn't going to vote for him. The Secret Service slapped on the cuffs and arrested him. I'd be curious to hear what statute was violated.
I think Clinton is a criminal as well. Just because he acted in the same belligerent way Cheney did, does that excuse anything? What we have here is people in power arresting civilians with different viewpoints. When did this become " OK " in the minds of everyday Americans? Shaking the hand of a leader, whispering in his ear " I think Iraq was a big mistake ", then peacefully walking off is not disrupting a rally or anything of the sort. Cheney, or the Agent, whichever, took it personally and now the man has an arrest record for the first time in his life. (or so the facts as we know them claim)

Anyways, can you post a link to this Clinton story? All google is coming up with is a slue of anti-bush dissenters being arrested. Go figure.

Last edited by Ghostfire : 10-06-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:35 PM #15
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Anyways, can you post a link to this Clinton story? .
Here's a couple:

BEATING INSPIRES A CAMPAIGN AN ANTI-CLINTON PROTESTER FROM ...
$2.95 - Philadelphia Inquirer - NewsBank - Jan 8, 2000The anti-Clinton protester who was beaten by members of the Teamsters union in the fall of 1998 says he will seek the Republican nomination for Democratic ...

Related web pages

Beaten Clinton Protester Facing Charges
CNSNews.com - Dec 11, 1998By Scott Hogenson (CNS) – A suburban Philadelphia man who was beaten while protesting a visit by President Bill Clinton to that city in October has been ...

All 4 related - Related web pages

There were a number of protestors arrested in his second campaign especially - I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

Remember the famous sound clip - where Clinton didn't know his mic was live and he called a Republican congressman an "f'ing idiot" except he didn't use f'ing.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 PM #16
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdomen
no. wrong. done.

i dont see anything wrong with that. its all about where you are at the time in my oppinion. you shoudlnt wear something like that at an even like teh state of the union adress, it just insues violence and unneeded hatred for one another. if she was out on the street, then sure, i dont care if she wears it.

its like a hippy going to a veterans memorial service and holding up a sign that says VETS ARE BABY KILLERS! its unneeded and inapproriate at that specific place. however, if that person goes to some hippy rally where 20,000 other people are supporting that same message, then sure, no violence is gonna insue from such a sign.

freedom of speech only goes so far ya know
Old 10-06-2006, 05:59 PM #17
ibmexican (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
I've always thought of Cheney as a positive and charismatic guy.
hunting buddies?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:11 PM #18
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmexican
hunting buddies?
I'm a CIA operative getting paid 500k a month to monitor these forums.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM #19
ibmexican (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
I'm a CIA operative getting paid 500k a month to monitor these forums.
Im Rusty Shackleford.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:49 PM #20
Ghostfire (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint
Here's a couple:

BEATING INSPIRES A CAMPAIGN AN ANTI-CLINTON PROTESTER FROM ...
$2.95 - Philadelphia Inquirer - NewsBank - Jan 8, 2000The anti-Clinton protester who was beaten by members of the Teamsters union in the fall of 1998 says he will seek the Republican nomination for Democratic ...

Related web pages

Beaten Clinton Protester Facing Charges
CNSNews.com - Dec 11, 1998By Scott Hogenson (CNS) – A suburban Philadelphia man who was beaten while protesting a visit by President Bill Clinton to that city in October has been ...

All 4 related - Related web pages

There were a number of protestors arrested in his second campaign especially - I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

Remember the famous sound clip - where Clinton didn't know his mic was live and he called a Republican congressman an "f'ing idiot" except he didn't use f'ing.

Does this lead to the conclusion that Clinton ordered the Teamsters to beat this man?

We can argue back and forth about past president's actions, wrong as they maybe. Or we can agree that it needs to stop, no matter which party is doing it. It's a blatant abuse of power.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 PM #21
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

Quote:
We can argue back and forth about past president's actions, wrong as they maybe. Or we can agree that it needs to stop, no matter which party is doing it. It's a blatant abuse of power.
I'll agree with that. However, I'd still like to know what statute these people are being charged under? That makes a huge difference.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.