Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 AM #43
p8nt4brainz

I am guessing it only looks for a valid key at power up and disables if not found? If this is true, then it has a lot of implications for after market boards. Also will create a market for eye replacements
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 AM #44
problah

problah is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
The encryption just enables the board’s communication after power up.
Oh, is it hardware encryption or software?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:55 AM #45
shaggy

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8nt4brainz
If this is true, then it has a lot of implications for after market boards. Also will create a market for eye replacements
I heard that 4eye boards will be made available to aftermarket manufactures with different encryptions to each manufacturer. Then they can use key to unlock eyes. It has to due with licensing agreements because all aftermarket boards using 4eye need to be licensed.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:07 AM #46
problah

So it sounds like it's software encryption. Is the encryption on a processor independant of the eye logic?

To be clear, I'm not talking about the proc that runs the code for the modes, and settings, I'm talking about the microprocessor on the left eye. In all reality, at that point, when it comes down to it, the eye is sending a 1 or a 0. Assuming that the microprocessor on the eye itself is performing the math between the two sets of eyes, and then encrypting it, and sending it off to the main processor, depending on encryption strength (software encryption) there can be a certain amount of latency between when the eye sees what, and when the cpu gets it AFTER decrypting it.

If the encryption scheme is factory dependant, I can see some company selling a lame Onyx because they decide they want a 1024bit encryption strength, and now the logic has to guess even farther in time what's going on.

Or is my understanding wrong? Is it just encrypted with a key for the manufacturer to use to unlock it? That's kinda wierd, as I would just have the companies sign an NDA, binding them by law.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM #47
shaggy

has been a member for 10 years
The encryption is used to validate the two boards are licensed during power on and then allowed to communicate. After that the data exchanged in not encrypted.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 AM #48
problah

w00t!
Thankyou. Now I feel more confident about potentially picking one of these bad boys up.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:02 PM #49
A-5best

Doesnt Bob already have the patent? I which case it means the patent office hasnt found anything to not patent a la JTs eye.