PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 PM #1
assassin #1 (Banned)

1 serious complaint.

so i played sd in the d3 we finished in 10th and i loved the event and the reffing was amazing.. but the 1 thing that i absolutly hated and i cant get over it is the use of the little tiny nails or w/e they were to keep the bunkers in. in just about every game we had at least 1 bunker fell over. and i saw all through out the tournament that their were just bunkers left and right falling over.

i no in 1 instance i was playing the bawls field in the dorito corner can. and it became undone and started to fall over. we were trying to battle a 2 on 5 and with a falling bunker it wasnt helping. i then decided to hold the bunker by the little flap that covers the air hole. and the ref yelled at me and told me to let it go, well i did the bunker fell over i got shot and my last player got shot soon after.

for the next event i wish they would put back the old spikes were u could slide into the bunker grab the strap and stop urself and the bunker wouldnt move at all..

anyone fell the same?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:12 PM #2
DrewDodson89

Annual Supporting Member
Some have sandbags now, maybe those would work better?

Kiwi!
ಠ_ಠ
Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 AM #3
TogaRunner02
REF #51

The problem with the bunkers was that they nailed them into asphalt. When the asphalt warmed up it expanded. That made the nails loose. Sand bags come out and get pushed around as well. I think we need to use long screws as opposed to nails
Old 09-12-2006, 12:14 PM #4
EL Velcro (Banned)
hollywood

in boston they had bunkers with sandbag built into the bunker, i dunno about SD seeing as i wasnt there.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 PM #5
Tigastyle

they wernt ther because sd was gay to the max

ALOOOOOOOHAAAAW
Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM #6
assassin #1 (Banned)

i just remember the old style were their were long stakes used and the bunkers never came up..

also with the type of nail gun/ nails they used it left a small about quater inch of the nail on the top that ppl could slide over.. i saw the first game of the event on the angel field someone sliced open his hand on the nail. needless to say their was blood pretty much everywere.

the sandbags were ok not perfect. but i really think nppl should use the old system from pre-06
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM #7
BonanzION

Im going to put my input in here too. Playing on the college fields, I slid into the snake and my knee caught one of those nails.

I currently have three stitches, and a ruined pair on slider pants. Oh well, at least NPPL is paying the bill.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM #8
Shope

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Velcro
in boston they had bunkers with sandbag built into the bunker, i dunno about SD seeing as i wasnt there.
On the webcast they said they didn't use nails in Boston because they weren't permitted, but they try to use nails wherever possible.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM #9
PeiCheck
~PeiCheck~

NPPL Referee # 31 JT field corner. Here's my input, I think it's good that someone from the inside comments here. The reason we had nails this time is because NPPL did not inform Pure Promotions in time to get sandbags. Therefore, pure promtions was left to use nails. It's Pure Promotion that handles all the bunker maintainence. We (NPPL referees and Chuck Hendsch) has already requested sandbags be used for LA. We know it was a problem and there was really nothing we could do about it, it was what Pure Promtions was able to do. But we should have sandbags for LA
Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 PM #10
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

has been a member for 10 years
anjordan77 plays in the USPL
anjordan77 donated to help Peyton Trent
anjordan77 helped look for balloons
anjordan77 is playing at Living Legends III
anjordan77 is Boss
yeah the nails were definitely rough on us in particular.... first game, player ends up with 7 stitches thanks to random nail being out on the turf as he slid in to the corner.

Overall though i thought it was a pretty good tourney... i did have a bunker lift up when it was 2 on 4 but i can't say the refs or anyone else had that planned...the other team capitalized on it and i didn't adjust fast enough...that's all there is to that....

Sandbags, in terms of sandbags, i loved the idea in boston, but i do have some complaints...please don't put the sand bag pouch where people are actually trying to play the bunkers, i know you probably can't control that anyways, but that's my only complaint about sandbags...

Rating of San Diego NPPL = A++ despite losing one of our players for the tourney in game 1.

Setup superb again, vendors awesome, reffing far superior to anywhere else, air at the fields = still cool, one tiny chrono for 1400 players kinda dumb, but doable, temperature as always awesome in san diego, spray painted turf was not quite as rough on the body this tourney as boston, lack of trash cans kinda harder on nppl cleanup, field cleanup crew spraying down the bunkers on every field still a great idea, crowd even bigger, bands even better, more photographers,
final result, 4th place Division 1

i can't complain at all. Great work everyone involved with NPPL, and all of the teams that were out there.
TWO THUMBS UP from me for sure.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 PM #11
Albinus (Banned)

One kid showed me his gauzed-up hand from superman-diving into a nail. His hand was split from the palm up through his wrist. Nails are not good.

This is NOT to say the event was bad, tho.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:32 PM #12
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

anjordan77 plays in the USPL
anjordan77 donated to help Peyton Trent
anjordan77 helped look for balloons
anjordan77 is playing at Living Legends III
anjordan77 is Boss
i wonder if that was my teammate, but his wasn't split all the way to his wrist.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM #13
assassin #1 (Banned)

well then thats 2 instances right their..

and im sure their were more.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:29 PM #14
JiGGaMaNwOOt

That sucks... >_< And nails do too! And broken glass. (My own instance at work, but still it involved blood. )
What was wrong with the spikes that used to be used?
Thanks,
Azurai Aeon

Last edited by JiGGaMaNwOOt : 09-12-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:35 PM #15
Lunchbox07
Lunchbox 07 RIC Riot

Nobody hated it more than I did, I payed a **** load of money to go there to have a nail slice my hand open first game. Ended up in the hospital getting 7 stiches, which landed me a even bigger bill, and I had to watch the rest of the weekend. Would have been a good event, but seeing as I didnt play cause of my hand, bad event.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 PM #16
JiGGaMaNwOOt

That sucks beyond the ability of suckiness. >_<
Hope you get better, and they nails need to go.
Thanks,
Azurai Aeon
Old 09-12-2006, 05:01 PM #17
Rated R Superstar
currently retired

yea im sure the nails sucked, but those arent a problem at every event. the "turf" IS. it feels like sliding on a bunch of 5 foot sections of old *** carpet. its sooo easy to trip over the seams and forget about not wearing pads.

nppl - get some new turf, or play on grass like the other leagues.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:07 PM #18
dyeboy1991
somich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogaRunner02
The problem with the bunkers was that they nailed them into asphalt. When the asphalt warmed up it expanded. That made the nails loose. Sand bags come out and get pushed around as well. I think we need to use long screws as opposed to nails
this would solve ur prob
Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 PM #19
DCitron6
BTM+SD Clothes=FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiGGaMaNwOOt
What was wrong with the spikes that used to be used?

You cant drive those spikes into the asphalt..It would do too much damage to what is essentially private property. The parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium, whether privately owned or city property, would require a permit of some kind to alter the surface in a drastic way..Permits cost $$$ and take time to aquire, but..well, its asphalt..those spikes arent meant to be stuck into anything harder than packed dirt.

The nails that were used left little to no trace of damage..just little holes that will eventually close as the ground heats up and softens.
And as it was in the beginning, So shall it be in the end. And bull**** is bull****, it just goes by a different name. #2 BCVZ Fan Club
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 PM #20
JiGGaMaNwOOt

People play on concrete? Baulsy. I havent played in so long, I honestly wouldnt know.
Thanks,
Azurai Aeon

PS: But people got owned by the nails, which sucks to hear
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 PM #21
DCitron6
BTM+SD Clothes=FTW

Well..they put down this ratty turf over the asphalt..it makes for a good sliding surface(as long as you dont hit a seam), but its REALLY hard yea..
And as it was in the beginning, So shall it be in the end. And bull**** is bull****, it just goes by a different name. #2 BCVZ Fan Club