PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 AM #1
jpasint

Field Vacuum?

Howdy all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience in using a billygoat type vacuum on an astroturf type field.
Are there other better/faster options for picking up paint balls from the filed?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2006, 11:18 AM #2
Z@Moneypaintball (Banned)
The Original BSRFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasint
Howdy all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience in using a billygoat type vacuum on an astroturf type field.
Are there other better/faster options for picking up paint balls from the filed?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
I've always had a method, it might not have been the best but it worked for me.

I cleaned my turf fields at the end of the day or at the beginning of the day depending on how much time I had. When it came for the shells I used a pair of leaf blowers to move the shells to the sides of the field where I used a shop-vac to collect them up.

The biggest thing to remember when vaccuuming a field is to watch the settings on the vac, you don't want it to pull the "grass" out of your turf.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:50 PM #3
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Annual Supporting Member
Jonezed7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jonezed7 plays in the APPA D5 division
Jonezed7 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
I was cutting grass the other day and on my lawn mower it says it's a turf vaccum. I guess if you put the bag on that that would work.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 PM #4
The Original BSRFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonezed7
I was cutting grass the other day and on my lawn mower it says it's a turf vaccum. I guess if you put the bag on that that would work.
Sort-of.

They are refering to real "turf". In a nutshell what its talking about is grass that has been cut.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 PM #5
GatSplat

Is the field inside?? If so, I'm not sure about running the gas motor in an enclosed area where people will be running about.

I'm using an Agri-Fab sweeper, and it seems to do pretty good. http://www.agri-fab.com/productslarge/45_0320.html

We have it hooked up to a golf cart so we are battery power, no fumes, it's quick and maneuverable, and picks up almost everything in it's path.

You can see it hooked up to the golf cart on the bottom of this page: http://www.gatsplat.com/progress.asp

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.

Last edited by GatSplat : 07-26-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:04 PM #6
pbfan3068
MW

Follow Z's advice... Industrial vac + leaf blower = cleaner field.

My Feedback (+35/-0)
Old 07-26-2006, 11:09 AM #7
jpasint

Thanks for the replies folks.

Take care.

Joe
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 AM #8
The Original BSRFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat
Is the field inside?? If so, I'm not sure about running the gas motor in an enclosed area where people will be running about.

I'm using an Agri-Fab sweeper, and it seems to do pretty good. http://www.agri-fab.com/productslarge/45_0320.html

We have it hooked up to a golf cart so we are battery power, no fumes, it's quick and maneuverable, and picks up almost everything in it's path.

You can see it hooked up to the golf cart on the bottom of this page: http://www.gatsplat.com/progress.asp
Actually I use a little leaf blower that could. Now it can be seen at events as the most famous leaf-blower in paintball as pretty much anyone who has done an interview with us or stopped by the booth has signed it...in a few months that suckers going on eBay

No but in all seriousness thats a great idea Gatsplat it looks as though it would work wonderfully for reball as well. However if they are limited on field size (50x50, 75x75..etc..etc) and/or they want to clean it during the day with all the bunkers inplace it might be a tad hard to do.

Bottomline is that its trial and error, chances are you have a leaf-blower sitting around if you have inflatable bunkers, and chances are someone you know has a shop vac...give it a try, if it works great, if not try some other options...As I have always said, what works for me might not work for you.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:21 PM #9
gruntbull
www.gruntbull.com

Agri-Fab Lawn sweepers, a cheaper one would be a Lambert Lawn Sweeper, Same Idea, they have a PUSH model or did (used to be a industrial sales assistant for them) They are sold in Home Depot or where a few years ago:

http://www.lambertmfg.com/cgi-bin/mi...=PUSH+SWEEPERS
Home Depot is a different name, same manufacturer:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

That is direct from factory, call them up you may get a discount, dont talk to Steve the owner... he is a mentally challenged IMO.

EDIT: and the Lambert was made first...

Last edited by gruntbull : 07-26-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:21 PM #10
severepb (Banned)
live to shoot

u dont need to pick them up the paintballs and shell turn into powder unless u hav reball(who uses that ****?)
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM #11
pbfan3068
MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by severepb
u dont need to pick them up the paintballs and shell turn into powder unless u hav reball(who uses that ****?)
That doesn't happen overnight, and please watch the language.

My Feedback (+35/-0)
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 PM #12
aquaman_25 (Banned)
encountersports.com

aquaman_25 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mayby just turn you swear filter on?

just a thought
Old 02-13-2007, 12:50 PM #13
sixgig
BEEEEF CAAAAKE!!!

What about the paint that gets all over the turf (i have played at fields where it was so bad that it felt like u were on an ice rink), how do you clean that off?

FAIR ENUFF
Lone Wolf Paintball
Old 02-13-2007, 03:18 PM #14
DLSPaintball
Team Breakout

Well if you have the good turf, you simply hose it off, if not, have fun.
Smart Parts Ion w/ Ups: 14" Freak w/ .693 and Reball Inserts, Silver Smart Parts Body, Extreme Rage Twistlock Feedneck, Clippard QEV, ****** Eyes (Green), CP Reg, CP Roller Trigger, NDZ Rail, NDZ On/Off w/ Bleed, Scenario Dreams Ion T-Board w/ Membrane Pad, Tech-T L7 Bolt, Orange Ball Detents, ****** Easy On/Off Button, and Contract Killer Grips.

My Feedback > +2/-0

Free, quick, and easy money!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:22 PM #15
GatSplat

The new thing we invented on our golf cart with a bank of squeegies and a shop vac with a garbage can to grab the paint works much better and faster for us. You can see the video at http://gatsplat.com/new.asp#gobbler

Then we are using commercial steam cleaners to clean up the grease each week. Takes one guy about 12 hours to do 20,000 feet of turf. We have a company bringing out a few other machines next week that are supposed to groom, spray down degreaser, and suck it all up in one shot - I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM #16
sixgig
BEEEEF CAAAAKE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
The new thing we invented on our golf cart with a bank of squeegies and a shop vac with a garbage can to grab the paint works much better and faster for us. You can see the video at http://gatsplat.com/new.asp#gobbler

Then we are using commercial steam cleaners to clean up the grease each week. Takes one guy about 12 hours to do 20,000 feet of turf. We have a company bringing out a few other machines next week that are supposed to groom, spray down degreaser, and suck it all up in one shot - I'll let you know how it works out.
On your site it shows that you use a vacum cleaner to pick up the shell peices, how does this pick up the shell pieces and not the bits of rubber in the Atomix turf.

FAIR ENUFF
Lone Wolf Paintball
Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM #17
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgig View Post
On your site it shows that you use a vacum cleaner to pick up the shell peices, how does this pick up the shell pieces and not the bits of rubber in the Atomix turf.
You set the depth of the brushes. It does pick up a bunch of rubber - but if you set it right, you can limit it... and if you want more down, you can empty out the vaccume, clean up the rubber and use it again... or just put down new.

Actually, now we are doing more steam cleaning than vaccuming. That seems to get most the pieces anyway, gets out more grease, and doesn't pick up as much rubber.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 PM #18
sixgig
BEEEEF CAAAAKE!!!

Have you ever looked into other turf besides the Atomix turf?

FAIR ENUFF
Lone Wolf Paintball
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM #19
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgig View Post
Have you ever looked into other turf besides the Atomix turf?
Directed at me?? The reason I have the Atomix is I got it from a landlord of another field that closed... so I got it for about 8 cents on the dollar.... Hard to beat at that price.

And even if a lot of the rubber comes out - it's still pretty sweet turf.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM #20
sixgig
BEEEEF CAAAAKE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Directed at me?? The reason I have the Atomix is I got it from a landlord of another field that closed... so I got it for about 8 cents on the dollar.... Hard to beat at that price.

And even if a lot of the rubber comes out - it's still pretty sweet turf.
Ya i live about 1hour south of the old Atomix facility played there twice and played a tournie there. The turf was great to play on i wish they would have kept producing it even after the field closed, oh well.

I am starting a paintball field and am current talking to some guys over at Astroturf the theirs is VERY expensive.

FAIR ENUFF
Lone Wolf Paintball