PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM #1
scottgman

How to use the least amount of air

Hi all... I'm a Nerve newbie. I got my Nerve a couple months ago. I've upgraded it a bit... NDZ bolt, Slik trigger, CP Reg. I've shot several cases of paint through it and it works great. I've noticed it is not as consistent as I expected (+/- 6 FPS on the chrono) but it's not terrible either.

I've been playing out on a friend's land. Since we don't have a way to refill air, we take extra bottles of air and play until we run out. Three of the bottles are only 68/3000 so I'm trying to get my marker as efficient as possible and I've been tweaking it alot. I'm trying to understand the interaction between HPR, LPR, and dwell. I've read all the stickies and read everything at the ZDPB site and I still have some questions.

Let's pretend that I don't care about velocity... all I want is to fire a shot using the least amount of air possible. I could acheive that by turning down the HPR, LPR and Dwell as low as they will go while still being able to push a paintball out the barrel, right?

So, since my main goal is maximizing efficiency, I should try to get the lowest possible HPR, LPR, and dwell settings while still acheiving the desired velocity, right? Is there a problem with this logic?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how low I should go. Right now I've got the CP reg hitting about 180 psi going into the marker. The LPR is about halfway in and I've got the dwell set at 9 chirps from the bottom. It's shooting around 285 fps and seems to perform well. I have definitely seen an improvement in efficiency over the stock settings, but if I can go lower, I would like to go lower. I realize that I should just turn everything down even lower and go test it, but I'm not sure what problems (if any) I will experience if I go *too* low. For instance, at some point will I experience performance issues like drop-off? Or maybe the Nerve just doesn't like operating below 160 psi, etc.

I guess I'm really just thinking out loud and wondering if I'm just completely wrong about all this... can anyone set me straight?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2006, 02:30 PM #2
ViolentRogue
www.xeiot.com

has been a member for 10 years
Why do you need a nerve to play withfriends anyways? If i were you i would get like a C3 pump. Its very slow, pump gun. But with a small propane tank you get like 50,000 shots. That should last you a long time and alot of fun. But if your dead set on using your nerve, having your dwell that low and pressures that low are about as effiecent as your are going to get with a nerve. Your best bet would be to invest in a couple Scuba tanks from ebay instead of gun upgrades.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:00 PM #3
W.K.S.
Spool Valve Sensei

W.K.S. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
W.K.S. is attending Decay of Nations VII
Shoot less. Seriously, only use semi with one trigger finger, or play hopperball. Like ViolentRogue said the only other way is to use scuba tanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM #4
scottgman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentRogue
Why do you need a nerve to play withfriends anyways?
Because I'm playing against Angels!

Thanks for the replies... you and W.K.S. essentially confirmed what I've been thinking. So I'm going to tweak my Nerve a little more and see how low I can get all the settings (i have been playing in semi... but it's hard not to pull fast ). Besides, I want it to be as quiet as possible (don't know why, I just want to) so I guess that's another reason to try to get everything lower.

We have been talking about getting scuba tanks or welding cylinders to take with us. We have only played on this friend's land a couple times so we're trying to figure out the best way to make it all work. So far, bringing extra bottles is cool but I think we all want to play a little longer.

Anyway, that helps... thanks!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:58 PM #5
W.K.S.
Spool Valve Sensei

W.K.S. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
W.K.S. is attending Decay of Nations VII
I wouldn't suggest welding cylinders, they're filled with flammible chemicals, especially if the two chemicals mix in any way. Plus the welding cylinders will have chemicals in them even if you empty them. Science dictates that no cylinder can be completey emptied of air, the same principle applies to all gaseous substances. Stick to scuba tanks, so you don't blow yourself, and all of your friends up.

Last edited by W.K.S. : 06-23-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:08 PM #6
Spectre023
Yeah it was me....my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.K.S.
I wouldn't suggest welding cylinders, they're filled with flammible chemicals, especially if the two chemicals mix in any way. Plus the welding cylinders will have chemicals in them even if you empty them. Science dictates that no cylinder can be completey emptied of air, the same principle applies to all gaseous substances. Stick to scuba tanks, so you don't blow yourself, and all of your friends up.
haha...an amusing thought
jk, hes right though. first off, welding cylinders arent meant for 4000 pounds of pressure, and secondly, youll be firing a compressed air/chemical mixture for the first few times you fill the tanks, which isnt good.
especially with a source of ingition around

My Feedback

I've recently noticed that I have been called crazy too many times for it to mean nothing.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:57 PM #7
kINgjAKIm
VA Ballaz

kINgjAKIm is playing at Living Legends III
kINgjAKIm owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kINgjAKIm supports Team VICIOUS
thats just plain stupid. you dont mess with stuff like that UNLESS you know EXACTLY what you're doing.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 PM #8
scottgman

I don't understand... what are those big cylinders I see out at the paintball fields? Are those scuba tanks? I have looked around at scuba tanks and the biggest ones I've found are something like 80cf and are about 4 foot tall. The cylinders I see at the local field or the local paintball store are taller than that and look like the same as welding tanks.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:44 PM #9
Spectre023
Yeah it was me....my bad

those are co2 tanks.
more than likely your field uses compressors for hpa or n2 fills
they could also be the big cascade bottles used for storage of high pressure air, but more than likely if they were grey and looked like welding cylinders, they were co2

My Feedback

I've recently noticed that I have been called crazy too many times for it to mean nothing.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM #10
bball801
O B E Y | Swizz

I know what youre talking about my field has the same thing there just big tanks that fill up to 5000 psi and there tall
Old 06-25-2006, 01:51 PM #11
scottgman

Yeah, the tall ones I'm talking about at the local field are cascading hpa. They have like 5 or 6 of them cascading. The local paintball store has a compressor setup that fills two of those tall cylinders.

So are those tall cylinders "welding" cylinders or what? I'm just trying to figure out what they are called.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:55 PM #12
Spectre023
Yeah it was me....my bad

there you go
i dont think you can get them for personal use though..
and if you could..they take a long time to fill

My Feedback