Before we do anything, I have to say: I provide this How To as a contribution to PBNation. You assume ALL RESPONSIBILITY in what you do. If you screw up, cut your mask wrong, cut your fingers off, whatever, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE. Also, this How To may not be duplitated, in part or whole, and may not be reposted on any other website without my explicit permission.
Ive gotten numerous requests via PM, IM, MySpace, eMail to make a How To on what I did with my I3s, so, here we go.
-Pair of Shears
-Utility Knife (a new one)
-Drill with 3/8" Drill Bit
-Dremel with Sanding Band
-Fine Sand Paper
-Needle Nose Pliers
-Flat Head Screwdriver
-Dye I3 Mask
-JT Soft Ears (I used the Small ones, I later cut the tops off of them with the Knife)
1. Completely disassemble your mask. You can leave the lense in the lense frame.
We are going to be putting the JT Strap on first.
2. Insert the end of the JT Strap through the I3 Retainer like so.
Note JT Strap comming through the other side.
3. Grab part from previous step (the tiny bit that came out the other side) with the pliers,
and pull the strap through.
4. Hold the strap with your hand, the retainer in the other, and pull the strap back so that its not sticking through too much. The result should be like so.
5. Making sure the straps are not twisted, repeat steps 2-4 with the other side. The result should be like so.
From the other side.
6. You can now reinstall the strap retainers back into the lense frame.
To do so, you are going to have to hold the strap retainer like so.
The end result should be like so.
We can now set this aside, and start working on the Cutting.
7. Side view of virgin mask.
8. You are going to cut along these lines. Use the knife, and shears. This cut dosent have to be perfect, since we'll dress the edges later.
Hint: I followed the curved line that was already there, used a quarter for the curve near the strap, and a drinking glass for the curve at the bottom. The top (above the strap), I simply cut the colored part from the black part.
9. Using your Dremel on Medium speed, clean up your cuts as much as you can. Follow up with the Sand Paper.
10. The end result should be like so. (Disregard the hole for now)
Cut at top.
Cut with Quarter.
Cut with Glass.
SEE THE OPTION BELOW!
11. Drill your 3/8" Hole like so. You might want to drill a pilot hole with a smaller bit first.
Note: I came up with this location after trying many others. Having this hole here positions the Soft Ears perfectly in relation to the Dye Strap, and your ears.
12. Insert the Nut-sert (from the Soft Ear kit) through the Soft Ears like so.
13. Then insert the Nut-sert through the hole you drilled in the mask. Insert the Screw from the outside, and thread it through the Nut-Sert. Tighten it down with the Screwdriver.
14. Put the lense frame back on the Mask. Have the Straps go on the OUTSIDE of the Soft Ears, covering the screw. Have the Dye Strap through the Soft Ears.
You are now done.
I now offer this service to PBNation Members for the price of $30, I provide the Soft Ears, You provide the Strap, You pay for shipping both ways. The reason I dont provide the strap is because many dont want the second strap, plus there are so many choices in straps.
In case that was confusing:
You send me:
$30+price of Return Shipping
Your COMPLETE Dye I3s
The JT Strap of your choice.
I have 0 sets of Soft Ears on Hand. I can either cut them like mine, or I can leave them uncut.