PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-26-2006, 05:51 PM #1
Paint Freak 98
Front Lean and Rest

Food for thought.

I don't know how suprising this is but American Idol's season finale winner recieved more votes then any of our President's ever.

Secondly what's your guy's take on E85? I think it could gain us some valuable time and if we mass produced it, it would be cheaper.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2006, 06:40 PM #2
Pellett

has been a member for 10 years
Corn made E85 is worthless, while sugar is actually somewhat valuable. But there are more corn lobbyist than sugar, so obviously the Legislature well go for corn cause we are wasteful and stupid.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 PM #3
The Dread Pirate
Warning: Choking Hazard

The Dread Pirate is a Supporting Member
You can cast unlimited amounts of votes for American Idol. 65 million people did not vote for American Idol. The number is actually closer to 10 or 12 million.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:17 AM #4
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Plus, thats 65 million for BOTH.
The number of people that voted for either president was around 100 million.

Basically, it was false little tidbit AKA factoid.

Nick
Old 05-27-2006, 11:37 AM #5
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
and people under the age of 18 can vote for American Idol. not so with the Presidiential elections.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM #6
Johnny Rebel (Banned)
This flag aint comin down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate
You can cast unlimited amounts of votes for American Idol. 65 million people did not vote for American Idol. The number is actually closer to 10 or 12 million.
Yah, exactly. When people can vote like 500 times, the numbers are gonna be up there.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:32 PM #7
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga652001
and people under 18 care about American Idol. not so with the Presidiential elections.
Fixed
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 05-28-2006, 04:17 PM #8
sdomen (Banned)
Evil's Resident Cynic

e85 is a political joke and costs more per gallon than regular gas. Corn based ethonal makes no sense whatsoever... especially since you can make ethanol from switch grass that grows as a weed. Sugar based ethanol is easier to refine, but harder to produce the necessary sugar cane to meet demands.

Switch grass requires no fertilizer, or seeds for that fact, comes back over and over, and doesn't need to be irrigated like corn does.

Coming from a family in the ranching business, I know that the only reason that corn ethanol exists is to make the middle america farming sector and it's lobyists happy. We are over paying for a crop that farmers have no business producing in most places because the soil is crappy, water is limited, and fertilizer is destroying their soil and the environment.

Further more, E85 cars are more expensive to produce and at the current rate are producing no less emissions
Old 05-28-2006, 07:12 PM #9
4rtshark (Banned)
Fat Jewish Streetshark

FlexFuelVehicles, if I'm correct, simply use the same amount of components, but different ones. the injection system has a different curve, and perhaps spark plug timing is altered.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:49 PM #10
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellett
Corn made E85 is worthless, while sugar is actually somewhat valuable. But there are more corn lobbyist than sugar, so obviously the Legislature well go for corn cause we are wasteful and stupid.
We actually grow more corn now than we eat. we pay farmers not to grow it. Can't say the same for sugar.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:57 PM #11
sdomen (Banned)
Evil's Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman
We actually grow more corn now than we eat. we pay farmers not to grow it. Can't say the same for sugar.

Learn a bit more about WHY we grow that corn. Farmers are gauranteed subsidies on corn because of ethanol. Now read my post. WE DO HAVE A SURPLUS of switch grass, beings it's a WEED.

We are paying for ethanol 3 times. 1) at the pump, 2) through subsidies to farmers 3) to ethanol producers. 90% of the ethanol plants in the US are built with over 50% government funding. Tell me how we are benefiting from corn based ethanol.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:17 PM #12
4rtshark (Banned)
Fat Jewish Streetshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdomen
90% of the ethanol plants in the US are built with over 50% government funding. Tell me how we are benefiting from corn based ethanol.
:shakes voodoo economics 8 Ball: The revenue from the subsidy-born factories/farms will be governmentally taxed and all will balance out.

we hope.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:44 AM #13
151*
Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rtshark
FlexFuelVehicles, if I'm correct, simply use the same amount of components, but different ones. the injection system has a different curve, and perhaps spark plug timing is altered.
wtf are you talking about?

anyways, the indy 500 will be run on 100% ethanol next year
Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 AM #14
sdomen (Banned)
Evil's Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rtshark
:shakes voodoo economics 8 Ball: The revenue from the subsidy-born factories/farms will be governmentally taxed and all will balance out.
we hope.

Obviously you don't understand how those industries work. They still require tax dollars to fund, and are not paying as much in tax as they are getting. Further more US citizens are paying the taxes on these services, not the companies. There is no such thing as a company that foots the bill for a tax. They always pass the cost on to consumers. So we are taxed at the pump, and through income tax/sales tax/property tax all to help pay for ethanol. We not only get taxed once, like with petroleum, but we have to pay part of our federal income tax to go to that as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 AM #15
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdomen
Learn a bit more about WHY we grow that corn. Farmers are gauranteed subsidies on corn because of ethanol. Now read my post. WE DO HAVE A SURPLUS of switch grass, beings it's a WEED.

We are paying for ethanol 3 times. 1) at the pump, 2) through subsidies to farmers 3) to ethanol producers. 90% of the ethanol plants in the US are built with over 50% government funding. Tell me how we are benefiting from corn based ethanol.
yes, I know. My Grandmother owns a farm. She has farmed her entire life.

Clearly there are flaws in the system. At least something is being done It'll take a while to iron everything out.