Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-21-2006, 10:02 PM #1
Mod1Xbox

I have 2 harddrives, but one doesnt work.

I have two hard drives hooked up to my computer wiring but i dont have a RAID config or card. I just want to access both hdd's independently to use one for backup. So its in there, and the hdd shows up on the BIOS screen, but it doesnt show up in my computer. Im a big nooblet and i dont know much, so please help.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 PM #2
Mod1Xbox

help???
Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 PM #3
mousek801
Blasť Polar Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod1Xbox
but i dont have a RAID config or card. .

there ya go spanky thats why
Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 PM #4
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Navigate to computer management. Then go to disk management. Right clcik on the missing drive and convert it to a basic disc.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:09 PM #5
dhsdrumer
ASM All the Way!!!!

dhsdrumer is a Supporting Member
dhsdrumer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousek801
So When do you need a raid card for only 2 HDD's?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:45 PM #6
Mod1Xbox

Hmm. The 2nd drive isnt showing up. Theres only Disk 0, CD-ROM 1 and CD-ROM 2.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:54 PM #7
Mod1Xbox

I clicked action > rescan disks but it still didnt show up. Maybe its not showing up because its my old xbox hdd? could that have anything to do with it?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:56 PM #8
Baboon
Photomob

Baboon is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Baboon is a Paintball photographer
What kind of drive is it and what motherboard do you have. I had this same problem with my old a8n-sli-deluxe, the bios would see the drive but nothing else including the windows installer would see it. I RMA'd the drive and board and found out certain maxtor drives have problems with the nforce4 chipset
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 AM #9
SonyLover
-

SonyLover is a Supporting Member
You might have 2 selected as the main (C) HDD, you might open it up and check that.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:30 AM #10
dhsdrumer
ASM All the Way!!!!

dhsdrumer is a Supporting Member
dhsdrumer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Make sure the jumpers are set up right.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:44 AM #11
ST:T Resident Canadian

Just mess with the BIOS a lot. Make sure you remember your current settings and then try different combinations in the BIOS. It workded for me when I put a HD in a computer with Windows 95. I just looked at the content on the sticker of the HD and matched it with the HD configuration of the BIOS.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 AM #12
yellowsnowman
CCIE

yellowsnowman is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousek801
What? Man you obviously do not know what your talking about. You can plug multiple IDE drives into one controller(that's on your MB if you curious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345421
Just mess with the BIOS a lot. Make sure you remember your current settings and then try different combinations in the BIOS. It workded for me when I put a HD in a computer with Windows 95. I just looked at the content on the sticker of the HD and matched it with the HD configuration of the BIOS.
This man will get you in trouble, lol. Try the suggestions above regarding computer managment and the jumper settings on each drive.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 PM #13
zake1000

Check out this link http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/...ct_ide_hd.html
hopefully it will help. Also it may be helpful if you determined how to get into your CMOS. Check the computer manufacturer, it is usually a key 'ESC' or 'F12', that you press when you start your pc up. This way you can see if the second HD is being recognized by your CMOS.
Also, it is possible to connect it to your second IDE chain with your CD drive. You can connect two devices to each IDE connection, and usually most motherboards have two IDE connectors on it.
Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM #14
Mod1Xbox

Thanks guys, but unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. The BIOS sees the drive as the primary slave, so that means the jumpers are set up right, and i cant hook up the hdd with the cdrom because i have 2 cd drives. Any other suggestions? Its a samsung hd btw.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:38 AM #15
hmmmDonut
Life fails **

hmmmDonut is a Supporting Member
You know that Raid-0 will show up as one drive in windows. You didn't mention what form of raid it is.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM #16
zake1000

One more thing. If your cable has a cut on one of the pins (I forgot which one), it is a cable select ribbon. You need to set the jumpers on the drive to CS on both drives.
Make sure that in CMOS, all the specifics for the HD are correct, I've had some cases on older motherboards where the settings were right. They are written on the HD label.
Has the drive been partitioned before? Not sure what OS you have, but if its for example an NTFS partition, certain OS have issues.
Something else, which is not ideal is you can pick up an external drive enclosure that plugs to a USB port at any computer store for $20-30.