Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-11-2006, 07:00 PM #22
chi-town baller
R.I.P Jason Towlie Calef

if i go the ebay route how can i get acounts at wholesalers

NEED CUSTOM SHIRTS, JERSEYS OR CUSTOM DECALS PM ME
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 PM #23
Mx250r

You probably are not going to get them through the manufacturer...Like said before, Dye, eclipse, spyder, tippman, all these companies give are loyal to the guys with real store fronts.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:53 PM #24
NO.SPD.LIMIT
est. 1978

Annual Supporting Member
NO.SPD.LIMIT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Talk to an accountant, he can set up all your start up paperwork. Owning you own business is alot of work. I would wait till you are finished with High school. But if you perfer not having a social life go ahead and open.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:37 AM #25
The Curly One
AireTex Compressors

Owning a profitable business is a lot of work

Owning a profitable business is a lot of work. Believe me. Ok, you want to sell on EBay, there is huge competition there which means your profit margin is next to nothing. The big guys have a huge advantadge. First off they buy in much larger quantities than you do so they get better prices. They also do not have to spend nearly as much on shipping to get the items to you or shipped out.
Web sites are expensive if they are any good. Then even if you have a good web site does no good if it is not seen by the customers.
Liability insurance is expensive.
Accounting and bookkkeeping can make or break any business quickly.
Advertising is outrageously expensive and you have to let the customers know who you are or they will not call not matter how good your product is.
No advertising = The phone does not ring.......

And who do you have answering that phone and how much are you paying them? Which brings up other issues, taxes, workmans comp, Social security and literally millions of laws that deal with employees. Now you need a good accountant to handle the money and legal issues.

The internet (and EBay) has definatly changed the way we do business and it is good and bad. The good news is the customer is able to get what ever they want online and save money. The bad news is that it sure makes it difficult for a business that sells online (or any business) to make money.

With a small business your overhead will be low so it is not impossible to make money but believe me it is not as easy as most people think. When I had my Federal Firearms license I could buy the popular items cheaper at a gun show new than I could buy them Wholesale. You will soon find out the same thing. Yes, the manufacturors may sell to you wholesale but giant mega store is selling them RETAIL cheaper than you can buy them when you add in shipping and everything. When the customer has a popular item and can get it from many different sources they will go to the one with the best price.

Right now I am working about 100 hours a week and I certainly am not rich. I have the luxury of having a good product at a reasonable price and still it is not easy.

I am not saying you can not do this but just be realistic and know that if you go into business this week that next month you will not be rich, good looking and famous. Most businesses fail the first year or so and in the end only the strong survive.

I personally enjoy the challenge or running a business and doing good things for people. I have been in business for almost 5 years and believe me it has not made me rich, famous or even good looking..... Curly
Old 05-21-2006, 11:11 AM #26
chi-town baller
R.I.P Jason Towlie Calef

damn it doesn't make you good looking.

thanks for all the info to make my standout more i will offer milling and i have planned to get ad space. no way am i expecting to get rich.

NEED CUSTOM SHIRTS, JERSEYS OR CUSTOM DECALS PM ME