Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 PM #22
crosscobra

also on the mark up... did u ever think that the reason those kids are buying off the internet is mabey u have ur prices jacked up to high..
Old 05-18-2006, 05:26 PM #23
FiremanMike
Never Forget

FiremanMike is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscobra
also on the mark up... did u ever think that the reason those kids are buying off the internet is mabey u have ur prices jacked up to high..
If only you knew what wholesale cost really was.

Ever heard of MAP (minimum advertised price)
Old 05-18-2006, 07:17 PM #24
deviilinsiide (Banned)
I Fought Kimbo

to keep people coming back all you have to do is treat them kindly and throw something there way once in a while. my local shop i like i go to not because its the chepest, but because me and the owner know eachother and he will toss me something everyonce in a while or fix my gun for free when i need it.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:46 AM #25
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanPaintballOwner
I think your very wrong, I don't sell any equipment and I live in a small town area where the majority of all paintballers were outlaw balling before I seperated from the military and opened the field. I simply offer the players a place to play and they in turn by their paint from me/ or the local shop --35 miles away-- So I think by saying my field is hurting the sport, you are so wrong!!! My player base grows every month, but not with players who are verterans of the sport but new players. I am growing the next generation of players, field owners with attitudes like yours piss me off! You ever met the average joe and asked him, "Have you ever played paintball before?" He responds: No, it is to expensive. I solve that problem, get that guy hooked, and next thing you know he is showing up in your shop to buy your equipment and playing at your field to have better competition and field quality. Sum of the story is you should change your outlook on fields like my own. However, everyone is titled to have their own opinions, I just thought I would put my 2 sense in. Havn't been playing paintball for 10 years to have a buisness that hurts the sport.
More power to you if you've operated a profitable business that has drawn more players into the sport than you've pulled away from a full-time paintball business. I didn't mean to offend you by my comments. The "businesses" that I have issues with are the guys who open up "stores" so they can buy things at cost, the online drop-ship stores, and the fields that are more clubs than they are businesses (the ones that sell paint slightly above cost). These businesses operate at little to no profit margin, and for all intents and purposes have an unsustainable business model. I feel that in the long term, the fields and stores that turn a reasonable profit, and reinvest a portion of that into their businesses, are more beneficial to the paintball player.

Bottom line, profit is what motivates businesses to thrive. When you take that out of the equation, the business lasts only as long as the owner is getting something out of it--in this case it's discounted play.

There were two statements of yours that led me to believe you might be one of those fields. To quote:
"My field isn't FPO because I don't care about the $$$ as long as I get the money back I pay NSERA every year."

"My boss was just lecturing me the other day because my gross dollars rock, but my markup percentage sucks. What can I say, I like hooking the customer up with a good deal."

Basing my opinions solely on those comments, I was of the opinion you were simply in the business of paintball as a hobby.

I've been playing for 15 years, and have been operating a non-profit paintball organization (Indiana Captains Council) for the past ten years. The purpose of that organization has been to promote the sport of paintball within Indiana. The relationship I've built with the Indiana fields and stores has provided me with a lot of insight.

In my fifteen years, I've worked for a field, operated a brick-and-mortar store, owned and operated two online stores, worked as a master tech for a paintball equipment manufacturer, worked as a sales rep for an paintball equipment distributor, am a partner in a paintball equipment manufacturing company, and operated two tournament series. I've also developed a product that has helped bring competitive paintball into high-visibility locations.

In short, I've spent time in just about every aspect of paintball. I've drawn my opinion of fields and stores operated with the hobbiest mindset based on those experiences. I feel I have enough information to form an educated opinion about the economics of paintball.

Again, understand that I did not mean to offend you. If your company functions as a business, and not as a hobby, then you have my support. It's the guys that start "businesses" just for the discounts, or operate at a near-zero margin, that I feel are damaging the sport.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
Old 05-19-2006, 01:47 AM #26
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanPaintballOwner
1 More thing, my field, also takes field trips to other fields. DO you know if there are any established paintball fields in Terre Haute IN?
There are no fields in the Terre Haute area, to my knowledge. I believe the closest fields would be in Vincennes and Princeton. You can find a pretty comprehensive list of Indiana fields at my website, iccpaintball.com

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
Old 05-19-2006, 06:41 AM #27
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy
Again, understand that I did not mean to offend you. If your company functions as a business, and not as a hobby, then you have my support. It's the guys that start "businesses" just for the discounts, or operate at a near-zero margin, that I feel are damaging the sport.
I would agree whole-heartedly with that statement. These fly by night enterprises are there to faciliate cheap play however, they detract from other local stores that can't compete using the same business models. In turn the paintball players these guys are trying to "help" end up suffering with a lack of localized paintball resources. In the end their intent to help a few players by providing cheap prices ends up hurting many. Of course the counter to this for brick and mortar is to charge for labor (which I highly recommend) and obtain their margin in this manner.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:05 AM #28
kramit

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscobra

Actually we try to match prices as often as we can. The problem with the Internet stores are that they have no or very little overhead. The problem is if we do not have it and have to order it. For example: a kid came into the store and wanted a blue Icon, all we had was black so we told him we would order it and it would take a week at the most to get here. Instead he ordered it off the internet for the same price we were selling it for but also had to pay shipping and waited 3 weeks for it to get to him. His reason was he did not want to wait a week for his gun to come in. On top of that his gun was not working and had to pay to get it fixed because he did not buy it through us.
Why not just buy locally. You might spend a little more up front, but you will save in the long run.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:16 PM #29
tmac4676
Columbus Wicked

tmac4676 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I'd just like to say. Let the kids buy there Markers off the net. You are not making that much off a marker anyway. But when they need that new Reg. or Some other aftermarket part they come see you. Sell them two ups for that marker that you don't warranty and you make more off of it then selling them that gun.