PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 AM #1
casual t (Banned)

Military Prepares for Domestic Peak Oil Crisis

ouch!

The DoD will encourage installations to evaluate renewable energy alternatives as part of contingency planning for grid outages. Planning should be done regionally, include regional utilities and suppliers, and consider the use of the installation’s renewable energy capacity as part of a local islanding strategy.

The current energy situation is described in this report as “highly uncertain,” “problematic,” and the outlook for oil is “not good.” The report also states that, “The United States is headed for a significant crisis in natural gas supply.”

You can read the rest for yourself. Quite lengthy.

http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTR...c=GetTRDoc.pdf
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 AM #2
casual t (Banned)

Austin and other cities in Texas lost power a few weeks ago to the " grid " over-working itself, or something like that.

where was the military then huh??? i could have used a lift home since you couldn't get any gas!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:34 AM #3
Rugrat

has been a member for 10 years
^^ Your point of this thread is what?

The military is planning ahead for something everyone, even remotely involved in the power industry, has known for years. The demand for power is outpacing power generation. This coupled along with the facts that no one wants a powerplant in their backyard and that EPA laws are forcing closing of older power plants means even less capacity. You can expect more and more brown, and roaming, outages as the years progress.
CPPA #2701
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 AM #4
casual t (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat
^^ Your point of this thread is what?

The military is planning ahead for something everyone, even remotely involved in the power industry, has known for years. The demand for power is outpacing power generation. This coupled along with the facts that no one wants a powerplant in their backyard and that EPA laws are forcing closing of older power plants means even less capacity. You can expect more and more brown, and roaming, outages as the years progress.
sorry didn't realize these forums had a " must make a point " rule. just wanted to get a discussion going about future power outages and military roles in keeping order and thanks for your input.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 AM #5
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
The government is the largest polluter, and the military is allowed to be very inefficient. Maybe the military realizes Congress is shifting back to fiscal conservatism and will stop throwing money at it. And they know that demand is increasing at a rate of 400,000bbl more than produced a day. A smarter, wiser more efficient military

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Last edited by I love Impulses : 05-16-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 AM #6
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual t
Austin and other cities in Texas lost power a few weeks ago to the " grid " over-working itself, or something like that.

where was the military then huh??? i could have used a lift home since you couldn't get any gas!
Don't whine, your ****ing energy companies raped the hell out of us and prices never went down that much.

We still have it harder than you guys, we just use our energy more efficiently.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 AM #7
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual t
sorry didn't realize these forums had a " must make a point " rule. just wanted to get a discussion going about future power outages and military roles in keeping order and thanks for your input.
I think you're trying to combine two seperate things here. Power outages have nothing to do with oil, as oil is not used for power generation. Most of the USs power generation comes from Coal, something you guys have plenty of.

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 AM #8
casual t (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
I think you're trying to combine two seperate things here. Power outages have nothing to do with oil, as oil is not used for power generation. Most of the USs power generation comes from Coal, something you guys have plenty of.
hmm ok

and impulse good point on your first post. didn't think of that.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 AM #9
Rugrat

Quote:
Warning Misleading Statistic Below
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses
The government is the largest polluter, and the military is allowed to be very inefficient. Maybe the military is realizes Congress is shifting back to fiscal conservatism and will stop throwing money at it. And they know that deman is increasing at a rate of 400,000bbl more than produced a day. A smarter, wiser more efficient military
The government is the largest polluter because it is BY FAR the largest single organization in America. Also Republicans, historically, have been the biggest financial supporters of the military. Until Bush's term ends and a Democrat gets elected the budget isn't going to be teh military's concern.
Like I said the focus is teh military is looking ahead at the direction our country is going. We are using more, and more, power every year while at the same time (for political and ecological reasons) preventing the construction of new power generation, and forcing (through EPA regulation) the closing of power plants that can no longer meet regulations. Sooner or later teh bottom will fall out and this will force teh American people to finally take action. But even when bottom falls out it will still take years for the new power plants to be built on come on line so we will be SOL for some time because of our own stupidity.

Second it isn't the military's job to hold your hand, police your city, and provide you with water, food, and gas. The military's job is to engage and destroy the enemies of the United States. Some how there seems to be this misconception that the military's function is to save us when our elected politicians and local governmnets have failled us.
CPPA #2701
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM #10
bern

Quote:
A smarter, wiser more efficient military
lol you mean a non-existant one?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:34 PM #11
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat
Like I said the focus is teh military is looking ahead at the direction our country is going. We are using more, and more, power every year while at the same time (for political and ecological reasons) preventing the construction of new power generation, and forcing (through EPA regulation) the closing of power plants that can no longer meet regulations. Sooner or later teh bottom will fall out and this will force teh American people to finally take action. But even when bottom falls out it will still take years for the new power plants to be built on come on line so we will be SOL for some time because of our own stupidity.

Second it isn't the military's job to hold your hand, police your city, and provide you with water, food, and gas. The military's job is to engage and destroy the enemies of the United States. Some how there seems to be this misconception that the military's function is to save us when our elected politicians and local governmnets have failled us.
Whether or not they support the military historically, they will find ways to save money by cutting certain areas and try to generate a surplus in doing so.

Good post though.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 PM #12
PillsburyDoughboy
CondomDealerExtraordinair

PillsburyDoughboy is a Supporting Member
PillsburyDoughboy helped look for balloons
PillsburyDoughboy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
no, the focus is obundandt low cost energy.America will attack other countries to keep the lights on. We need a massive gas tax, at least $1 more then where it is at to curb demand and promote efficiency rather then trying to increase supply and protecting it, in the long run it will save taxpayers any way, how much is iraq costing per day, something like 50 million?

our militarys true job is providing cheap power, at any cost.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=638985
I love dirty dirty house music....
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 PM #13
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillsburyDoughboy
no, the focus is obundandt low cost energy.America will attack other countries to keep the lights on. We need a massive gas tax, at least $1 more then where it is at to curb demand and promote efficiency rather then trying to increase supply and protecting it, in the long run it will save taxpayers any way, how much is iraq costing per day, something like 50 million?

our militarys true job is providing cheap power, at any cost.
No on the massive gas tax.

That single action will create stagflation, and more inflation. The economy will stop growing and will start shrinking. Unemployment will go up and there will be less capital investment=less tax revenue=less services. People may be exposed to more cars that offer better efficiency, but their cost of living and incomes will negatively affect their situation dramatically. In the end, you are left with the same percentage of people buying hybrids, and people unemployed, lower revenue, and a recession.

The better course is to let the market solve the situation. When prices become too high then more companies will enter the oil production and refining industry. Hybrid's and flexfuel cars will become more popular and people will have more disposable income. The transition must be gradual, not sudden. If it is sudden then the process will fall apart.

The military's job is nothing outside of defending this country from foreign military threats. The task of providing cheaper power is up to the oil companies and researchers who find better and cheaper ways to use this resource.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:37 AM #14
NorCalBaller88
iFap

Quote:
Don't whine, your ****ing energy companies raped the hell out of us and prices never went down that much.

We still have it harder than you guys, we just use our energy more efficiently.

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 AM #15
25bps (Banned)

25bps is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBaller88
Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 AM #16
Nitroscorpion
Palm Beach Vipers

I agree, Military's Job is NOT to police our people. Look at Hurricane Katrina, they went to help and how do the people pay their respects?