PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 PM #106
DeepPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3AGL3_PBALLER
I have owned one for well over a year and have not had it go down on me once 'cept for the time my battery died.
Then you have been lucky. Don't get me wrong, if you get a 'good' ion then its rocks.

However I have seen many more with little problems that are annoying at best, and some that are nothing more than expensive paper weights.

I was going to get one as a back up, but the risk of getting a 'duff' one is too great.

DP

P.S. The problems I've seen are out of the box problems before you ask

Last edited by DeepPyro : 04-29-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM #107
kleivonen (Banned)
A-S-M-C

kleivonen is a Supporting Member
My ion works great, and has never let me down.

However my friends noid leaked out of the box.. i guess it is a hit or miss for all you feild owners
Old 05-05-2006, 09:50 PM #108
nathanc98
Hard Core Casual

Annual Supporting Member
nathanc98 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
nathanc98 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
nathanc98 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
nathanc98 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I work part time at one of my local paintball shops and used to work at one of the local fields.

The biggest thing i have seen wrong with the ION is the USER. The guns are not super easy to fix (ie: spyder, piranha, and other similarly priced guns).

People like to mess with the settings, and most have no idea what they are doing. Just last weekend we had a bone stock ion come into the shop, the kid could not get the velocity up so he started messing with the dwell, he didnt know how to adjust it, and couldnt figure out what he had done, so we put the dwell back to stock, and took it to the chrono, and it was pretty conistent and the velocity was just fine. it turned out that the first time his velocity was low, he was almost out of HPA.

As far as the price thing goes, now we are having a hard time selling the 180-220 priced spyders because of the ion. I know for a fact that the store owners are pissed off at SP because they gave them no warning, and then killed the mark-up on them so the profit margin is a lot smaller now.

My Curators Corner

Old feedback, 35 Positive , 0 Neg
Old 05-07-2006, 11:35 PM #109
Virtual Assault
Action Zone Sports

Arrow My thoughts on SP's new policy.

Just thought I'd post what I sent to SP as way of showing my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How does this help me? I'd rather the MAP be higher. I sold them well enough at $284.99. This just means I'll have to match the lower online price at sites like [Insert Name of Online Store Here]. Why don't you help the local guy who provides day-to-day service In Person to customers--instead of the online version of Big Box Stores--by raising MAP for online stores. I have to provide service for all the IONS sold by these companies in my town or I appear to be a jerk--since they see me as the local representative for Smart Parts. I cannot even begin to guess how many times I have people who buy the marker (particularly the ION) online and then I have to provide instruction, service, and whatnot. If I try to charge for these services they look at me as if I were ripping them off. When I help them and then try to sell them accessories they look online for the lowest price anyway. It's becoming ingrained into them (the young people who buy these--some older folks do get it). Unless I explictly tell them not to (which appears like begging) they will do it. They simply don't get it. It is in my nature and a generally a good business practice to provide service to anyone who comes to my door. However, it is practices like these that are putting the local businesses--Out of Business.

How can Smart Parts help the local business? The business who is a local in-person presence for your company.

Thank you,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I add now: It was just nice being able to match the online prices and still make a decent profit. Oh well, I guess there's nothing to be done about it now. I will be able to make some profit selling accessories, it's just that we used to have the best of both worlds. Overall I am still happy to have the ION to offer my customers.

Last edited by Virtual Assault : 05-08-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 AM #110
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
VA,

As I'm sure you realize, we are an online store. However, we also have a retail store where we have quite a bit of traffic as well.

We provide free labor on any marker that we sell. However, we charge for services to markers that aren't purchased from us. I haven't had one customer ever question this policy. It's pretty obvious that a store can't service a marker at no charge when it wasn't purchased from them. I would explain this to your customers. We've had customers actually buy another 'gun off the wall on the spot because they didn't want to deal with the "Big Box" and wanted the comfort of us backing them up if they ever had an additional problem.

Jom
Old 05-13-2006, 04:06 PM #111
EPS
mo-paintball.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmountainsports
Don't click the link unless you want to look at a million popups.

Opps wrong site www.moneypaintball.org!

http://www.mo-paintball.com
203 - 500 - 7889

email: membersonlypaintball@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2006, 04:12 PM #112
EPS
mo-paintball.com

Smart Parts is just trying to stay alive, and the problem really isn't just limited to them. Its the whole industry that is set up for failure. You have manufacturers and wholesalers selling direct to the public and that hurts the little guy...

You'll never see GM sell cars online for cheaper than their dealers... Obviously that's a bad business model....

The moral of the story is: if you want to be rich, don't go into paintball!!!!

http://www.mo-paintball.com
203 - 500 - 7889

email: membersonlypaintball@gmail.com
Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 PM #113
barone

well it really sucks becasue the valve of all there guns went down so much shocker 800 brand new now 600 and there going for about 650 on ebay with alot of ups....well i know smartparts are coming out with all new private label shockers...tremor..naughty dogs..russian leaged...and new privite lable ions....my freind who is sponcered by sp he sayed they sopose to come out with na whole new line of shockers and stuff with break beam eyes and some other goodies....dont now when tho hopefully over the summer maybe......dont no if its 100% tru but i hope..............
ShOcKeR MaFiA #47 Italian ballas club! #8

[/b]Feedback +32/-0

NEW FEEDBACK +2/-0
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 PM #114
pbfan3068
MW

Now that SP has lowered prices... we move on. Complaining about this will not accomplish anything. Just say to your next Ion-owning wonderer, "You didn't buy that here, don't expect me to hand you $10 of parts and $20 of labor for supporting my competition." That generally gets the message across. However, you could say "If you pay for the parts, I will fix it for you." For the most part, anybody who is reasonable and has a few bucks in their pocket will churp, "Sounds good."

It was a dick move by SP to lower prices without giving us a heads-up, but there is nothing we can do about it. The only option would be to not sell SP gear, but that only harms both of us. Gee, who can take more losses... a small-time field/store owner that sells a few Ions a month, or a large company that sells hundreds of Ions, Shockers, Nerves, and parts/upgrades?

My Feedback (+35/-0)
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 AM #115
brianthehulk
AKA The Thing

Greg Hastings and his R7 line only sell through distributors, not to the public directly.

Its true that GM doesnt sell cars over the internet, so should there be no internet sales for paintball?

I live within 10 miles of 2 paintball shops, and I drive, so I can get to a place fairly easy. I doubt this is the same for everyone else, or is it?

A site like action village has a much larger inventory than any pro shop Ive ever been in. I'm not really faulting the store owner, it takes alot of money to put up a large wall of markers, masks etc. But I want to choose what I like not what they feel like carrying.

The closest store to me is a combo store, it sells paintball in one half of the showroom and hop up car parts( seats, rims, performance parts etc) for hondas, toyotas, etc.
The owner told me the other day that they would have had to close long ago if not for the car parts keeping them afloat during the lean times.
Diversity works there at least, maybe thats the way for a few places to go.
I live in southern California, and I know suped up car parts wont sell everywhere, but there are other alternatives.

Team Illuminati Paintball PSP/NPPL
Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 AM #116
djballer115
Jim Hall Is My Hero

djballer115 is a Supporting Member
djballer115 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
djballer115 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedpotatoe8
SP obviously just wants to make more money... they screwed the fields and stores over, so why would they want to sell them so cheap and not make any profit off of them? More people are going to end up buying from SP if the stores sell them at a price that they can get a profit, SP is going to be selling them for less, so more people would want to get them from Smart Parts. I know Smart Parts has lost my support, because that just sucks for the stores and such.
GASP Smart Parts wants to make more money? It's as if they are running a business or somthing.