Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 PM #1
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

Whatever happend to the 'Homeland Security Advisory' Warning System?

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Bush Administration finally gave up on fear mongering? I mean, a year ago, it seemed like the alert was raised every day, and at the end of the week, was lowered back down again. It seems it hasn't happened in at least 10-12 months, and the latest record I could find on CNN.com (They have the best news archive online, well, at least IMO) was from May 2003.

It all seems a little out of place if you ask me...
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2006, 12:31 PM #2
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

has been a member for 10 years
It got dropped when they realized that we're not being attacked everyweek

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
Old 05-13-2006, 12:34 PM #3
Rob_TheRain
Chuck Norris is behind u!

no they still use the scare tactice but people got tired of hearing that the alert system is going up

just the whole bush administration is a complete deboccle... i cant wait till he leaves office and i hope we get someone who knows what they are doing
Old 05-13-2006, 12:38 PM #4
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy
It got dropped when they realized that we're not being attacked everyweek
Think about it, that makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_TheRain
just the whole bush administration is a complete deboccle... i cant wait till he leaves office and i hope we get someone who knows what they are doing
As in a Politician? I'll give you $1,000,000 if you can find a popular candidate that is running, and 'knows what they're doing', because, chances are, it will never happen.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:04 PM #5
Rob_TheRain
Chuck Norris is behind u!

i think there were many good people vieing for canidacy last election

its just the demo.s picked freaking kerry of all the people they had who wanted it

i am amazed he won he was possibly the worst person to have run for president
Old 05-13-2006, 08:28 PM #6
Evilwombat
Damn noob 2k8er's

Well... I wanted to go to the movies today, but the terror alert is orange, so I skipped, and hid under my bed instead

Old 05-13-2006, 08:57 PM #7
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

No sarcasm to be had. My point was, why did this program all but 'die', without any explanation or public hearing? A little odd, no?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 PM #8
doublenot7
KAFIR

The threat warning never went anywhere, it is still around and adjusted but pretty steadily remains "elevated". The media just dropped it from their radar.

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29

But I agree that the whole code system is stupid. If you are so lost that you need a color code make you aware of warnings that are given in news stories anyway, you are too stupid to know better. It is like a picture menu at McDononalds
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 PM #9
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge
Is it just me, or does it seem like the Bush Administration finally gave up on fear mongering?

Fear mongering? Why would we have anything to fear?

I mean, a year ago, it seemed like the alert was raised every day, and at the end of the week, was lowered back down again. It seems it hasn't happened in at least 10-12 months, and the latest record I could find on CNN.com (They have the best news archive online, well, at least IMO) was from May 2003.

Psst... - it's 2006 - 2003 is three years ago.

It all seems a little out of place if you ask me...

It is still on the trailers at the bottom of the screen on the main cables news networks. And um... if it hasn't changed - what are they going to report on?

Now from CNN - A special report - nothings changed.

OKay?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:40 PM #10
sutcivnI (Banned)

sutcivnI is a Supporting Member
Apparently you haven't walked into a bus station or airport in the last 3 years.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:13 AM #11
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Psh, should be at code blue. Code blue=Bush's ratings go up.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Old 05-17-2006, 02:25 PM #12
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutcivnI
Apparently you haven't walked into a bus station or airport in the last 3 years.
I fly during X-Mas, Easter, and Summer, round trip.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 AM #13
bern

Maybe people realized terrorism isn't that significant of a threat and stopped caring.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:06 AM #14
RedfordRenegade
Paintballer Non-esquire

RedfordRenegade plays in the APPA D4 division
The Homeland Security advisory system failed due to a "lack of imagination".

Terrorism, although a latent and lurking threat, is not something anyone should ever have to worry about. It's a byproduct of the free society in which we live that, once in a while, criminals will exploit. Do you worry about your house being robbed, you being mugged, shot, killed by a drunk on your commute to work? I would think we should have more to fear domestically then from a shadowy organization that operates out of the Hindu Kush, I suppose some would differ though.

Yet,
There is no ludacris color coded system of alert for citizens to warn of these possiblities! It simply creates a climate of fear that can be reaped for political advantage. It's perpetuating our problems. This "war on terror" is simply making foreign policy worse all the while making us worse off too.

Think about it, the color will never be blue or green because the government functions best when people have perpetual fear of some vague event; the government takes advantage of this by doing things that wouldn't be possible under a knowledgeable population (such as passing crapping-on-the-constitution laws.)

The color will never be red either. If that happened chaos would result in a plummeting stock market and people would not show up for their jobs, anarchy would rule which is exactly how people in power lose power.

I specifically remember when Tom Ridge was king and the threat level had gone up right before the RNC in New York City. From the onset, this warning seemed very political due to the timing. So Ridge holds a press conference where he stated they heard some "chatter" then proceeded to defend Bush's actions in Iraq!?!? I mean, this is a terrorist threat warning- save the stump speeches for the campaign trail!

Overall, it's another ineffective, bureaucratic tool to fight terror. If the system didn't exist solely for fear mongering, I don't understand why they don't just focus on foiling plots and arresting bad guys, perp walking them for the nation to see?

Why don't they? Well?