PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-14-2005, 02:16 PM #1
jhula13 (Banned)

reff needs help

Please: Will someone at NPPL please train the woman reff that was on the Spyder field on Sunday.It's not fair to teams spending lots of $ to play and have a reff with no clue what's going on.She was no better in Miami than in SD. It's probably not her fault that she is incompetent she just needs training and some psychiatric counseling on how to deal with rational people.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM #2
King Scotty
SPY for life *****ES

has been a member for 10 years
all the refs there where pretty horrible. I dont know why the NPPL would hire a bunch or refs that dont even know how to speak english let alone ref a national tournament.

www.HKarmy.com

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!! (R.I.P. ATOMIX R.I.P)
Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 PM #3
DM1234
Maniacal Debander

ROFL....... Don't tell me let me guess, you lost right.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:45 AM #4
FatNick

Yeah you idiot we lost no actually we took first place divison 3 atomix nation and we're the series champs i bet you sound like an idiot know.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:47 AM #5
FatNick

i accidently posted as king scotty that post should have been by fatnick
Old 11-15-2005, 09:02 AM #6
ladyattitude

I think the league should go back to the players reffing themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhula13
Please: Will someone at NPPL please train the woman reff that was on the Spyder field on Sunday.It's not fair to teams spending lots of $ to play and have a reff with no clue what's going on.She was no better in Miami than in SD. It's probably not her fault that she is incompetent she just needs training and some psychiatric counseling on how to deal with rational people.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM #7
jhula13 (Banned)

no loss

Actually we did not lose, but it made a difference later in points.Lots of replies to complaints about reffing are the typical (if you think you could do better then why dont you reff ) thats a tired old cliche that does nothing to address the problem or help fix it.Reffs should have a good understanding of the sport and skills with dealing with people.She has neither .She may be well suited for other jobs.Perhaps in the railroad industry or maybe roofing maybe even in roller derby since she likes sports.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 PM #8
shamu
Transplanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyattitude
I think the league should go back to the players reffing themselves.
LMAO
Old 11-16-2005, 02:36 PM #9
Knights05
EGO Owner

hey we can always get PSP reffs we all no how good there are

TopGun Factory

dXs
Vforce
BEVOLUTION AMMO
Old 11-16-2005, 02:44 PM #10
DM1234
Maniacal Debander

Players reffing themselves is a good idea. That way, being the honest ballers they are, everybody would get out when hit and games would be run according to the schedule without falling behind. Refs just mess things up. They don't even know the rules as well as the players do. Yeah no more hot guns or ramping modes. Everybody could be counted on to do the honorable thing and play fairly. What a great idea.... GO PLAYERS !!!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 PM #11
jhula13 (Banned)

no one said we don't need reffs ,we just want gualified reffs
Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 PM #12
DM1234
Maniacal Debander

And what makes a ref qualified? The ability to make a call and then be brow-beaten by players into changing their call? Or making a call and standing behind it in the face of adversity? Players and spectators don't always see what the ref saw and vice-versa. Watching video footage before editing I know that sometimes things look different from a given point of view. I am not saying that refs are infallible ,or that players are, I am merely saying that if all the refs were fired or not asked back on the opinions of players or spectators, soon their would be no refs at all. Having seen the way some players (not all mind you) treat refs I can't believe how courteously and professionally players are treated, by the same refs that they were yelling at a moment before. You make a good arguement for the assessing of a ref's quality but if the ref in question is asked to come back time and time again don't you think that they are doing the job asked of them. I see some of the same refs at every event and have even come to know some of them personally. They are all just people like you and I, so cut them some slack for doing the job that nobody wants. In the future if there is a problem talk to the ref and say something like " I know that you called it the way you saw it and it probably won't change anything but this is the way it looked to me .....
...... Thank you for your time we know you are trying your best." I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how well constructive (not destructive) criticism is responded to. To all the refs out there that take time out of their lives to come and do a job that nobody wants, in the hopes of giving all teams a level playing field. WELL DONE AND THANK YOU !!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 AM #13
jhula13 (Banned)

straying from point

Hey : If you read my posts,I never ripped on the reffs[plural] I only had a problem with one reff[singular] I have no problem with any of the other reffs so you dont need to defend them to me.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 PM #14
ladyattitude

What he is saying that he feels I am not qualified.

Quote:
Hey : If you read my posts,I never ripped on the reffs[plural] I only had a problem with one reff[singular] I have no problem with any of the other reffs so you dont need to defend them to me.
Who do you play for jhula13?

I don't pretend to know everything and am always looking to improve my experience level. I have 18 years experience in paintball. I do a lot of the Safety committee stuff and have sat on a few rules committees. I have played on Sunday and have many trophies under my belt and I have been fortunate enoght to have played on some awesome teams. I only have about 7 years of tournament experience but I am a promoter and run a few series. I am also a technical writer and photographer for the industry as well. I ref about well over 2000 games a season nationally. I give the NPPL my time as I am trying to give something back to the sport and really only come back because of my fellow refs.

But in what area do you feel I need more training. I am all up for constructive criticism. That is your point right?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 PM #15
FSU Paintball
quotedfortruth.com

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights05
hey we can always get PSP reffs we all no how good there are
ROFL. Guess you didn't play Cup. Unless you were being sarcastic, or had the UK refs.
www.parts4paintball.com
Support Luke Mansberger & Strange
Old 11-17-2005, 04:14 PM #16
shamu
Transplanted

Quote:
no one said we don't need reffs ,we just want gualified reffs
Jhula - You've made several statements that this ref was unqualified. Can you give me an example of how this (or other refs) were not qualified to be on the field or how the ref was unprofessional?

You make a good point about not using the old "why don't you do it" excuse and I'm not saying that. However, if you want to see the reffing improve, constructive criticism is needed.

For reference, comments like "the refs are gay", "refs suck" and "gawd, they were the worst e v e r" are not constructive.

Constructive would be to explain the situation you observed and how you think it could have been done better.

If you don't want to discuss the details in public, feel free to send them to me via IM.

this goes for anyone with something constructive to say. Put it here or send me an IM.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:18 PM #17
Knights05
EGO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Paintball
ROFL. Guess you didn't play Cup. Unless you were being sarcastic, or had the UK refs.
Ya i was being sacastic

TopGun Factory

dXs
Vforce
BEVOLUTION AMMO
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 PM #18
jhula13 (Banned)

example

a good example was during a game I scouted for another team the reff in question never got in close to check for hits and made calls from 20 feet away when asked to check for hits ,then on a run through a player was shot numerous times and continued to run and shot another player right in front of the ref but she didnt even notice what had happened. Another incident involved a similiar senario as the last event, but not only did that occur but just seconds later a player that was already shot was shot again turned completley around shot a player and the ref who again had no idea what had happened just pulled both players. I could go on for quite a while with stories from other teams but you will just continue to defend yourself instead of admitting your need for improvement so whats the point.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 PM #19
jhula13 (Banned)

hey Shamu

Hey Shamu ;I quess you did'nt pay attention to my posts either.I never made any statements like [reffs suck] or anything else like that at all .You're welcome to criticize me all you want but make sure you criticize something {I}did or said. thanks and by the way I am not the lone ranger on this.After SD quite a few teams at Redlands talked about room for improvement with this reff.

Last edited by jhula13 : 11-17-2005 at 06:49 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 PM #20
DM1234
Maniacal Debander

Read Again Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM1234
You make a good arguement for the assessing of a ref's quality but if the ref in question is asked to come back time and time again don't you think that they are doing the job asked of them.
Does this answer your question?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 PM #21
shamu
Transplanted

Quote:
Hey Shamu ;I quess you did'nt pay attention to my posts either.I never made any statements like [reffs suck] or anything else like that at all .You're welcome to criticize me all you want but make sure you criticize something {I}did or said. thanks and by the way I am not the lone ranger on this.After SD quite a few teams at Redlands talked about room for improvement with this reff.
I used the term "for reference" to indicate that the comments were generic and not directed solely at you. Many of the comments posting on message boards about reffing are of the non-constructive variety, as I'm sure you're aware. I apologize if you were offended by my comments.

To be clear, your initial remarks were not constructive. They were borderline insulting both to the the individual ref and refs in general. It's fine to have an opinion and I'm always willing to listen to constructive feedback. But comments like the aforementioned "you suck" and your comments on psychiatric counselling are not constructive. Maybe a better description of a poor attitude would be "unprofessional" or "disinterested". Better yet, a description of the event that caused you to think this.

Your later description is actually helpful, so thank you for taking the time to describe what you saw.