PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 PM #64
MonsterD

has been a member for 10 years
let me break this down one by one and lets get some answers to your q's (farside_logan)
#1- you're right... they trew fields all over the place, trew the player tents in between, and trew the pro's in a tent the size of the other 2 combined... cause 16 teams of pros takes more space than the other 100+ teams togheter.
#2- parking did suck, alot... no arguing that point... it really sucked.
#3- lighting... meh.
#4- i enjoy the free fruit... its good to eat something in the heat, and drink water... sucks that people got sick from the water... i fortunatly did not.
#5... were was the cleaning crew? all 100 of them were cleaning the NPPL field between games, they made sure the bunkers were clean. the floor looked new, and that the rest of the fields looked like ****!! it worked... the pros' were pampered... and everyone else... well... who cares, they're not gona be on tv.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 PM #65
oneandonlychaz
Yea.... im that good

Yea... i agree the layout sucked it was kinda hard to get around but on the bright side at least the fields (minus NPPL) were grass

I know nothing about the parking because i didnt have to do it

The lighting situation was bad because of the hurricane. There werent enough lights available for use. It had nothing to do with cutting costs.

Didnt know they'd ever had free fruit, and as far as the water the staff didnt get water or ice either much less breaks and we were on the field for a LONG *** time

Yea, no cleaning crew, i understand the frustration with that. There were players that got away with some hits that they claimed as rub im sure but it went for EVERYBODY

"...No Skill, No Talent, All Heart."
Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM #66
alivAmadA
SIX SIX S1CK

alivAmadA is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_Higgz
suck it up the nppl is an awsome serious, they had a bad event booo hoo reffing wasnt even that bad..... go suck a dick whoever started this thread

SUCK A FAT COCK
I’m so glad that the Canadian representation in this discussion is so intelligent.
Nothing worse than a cliche Canadian……

FREE SPHERE
Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM #67
assa

HAHAHAHAHAH! this thread is awesome!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM #68
Carnage_descent

AMEN ... Farside Logan
Old 11-09-2005, 09:21 PM #69
randyDuDe
Randy Cool Beans

i think the pro games on the nppl field ran so slowly because there was a huge cash prize @ $50k...

would you risk a $50k grand prize by playing reckless - in order for appeasement of the grandstands?

hahha... this isn't even really a part of the thread anymore..

Scoobi-Da-Bop!

http://myspace.com/randycoolbeans
Old 11-09-2005, 09:33 PM #70
makeumwareit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker_77
WOW ... all that to tell me that the event, sucked ... great ... I like that you are actually using your writing skills... I am not taking sides, I just put in prospective that a event is not bad, because of the location, or the other resources used to do the event ... and if NPPL and ESPN wants to do that ... hell .. don't you want the media attention ? aren't you contradicting yourlself by saying that Matty's interview took to long ... what do you care ? are you putting your money to produce the show that you will be watching in April, just to see if you are in one of the takes ? ... you and other 200 teams paid for A COMPETITION not a fashion show....

I'm not hating paintballers .. I AM HATING on the ones that COMPLAIN ....paintball is a game that has its roots based on just the love of the game.. so , how do you call someone that pays for something, have fun playing and complain about the reffs, and the location? even the Water .. for god's sake THE WATER ??? and if you are going to complain because the NPPL took the risk and put money to take it to the next level ..NPPL knows that the only way is up and you know what .. they are going to keep doing it .. they will put it on ESPN, CNN, ABC and any other channel just to gives the one that beleive that paintball still is for the game ... a game that is changing ....

and if you like more PSP that's great, but I bet you did not went to PSP chicago or even the world cup ... if you think that miami was bad ... read the article about chicago in Paintball 2 extremes magazine ... that my friend is bad...

to be continued ...
I was in chicago and other then being hot as hell...it was a great event. I was aslo at the PSP world cup and that was the Best event Put on by them all year. PSP really stepped it up this time Keep up the good work PSP your headed in the right direction.

I laugh because players complained when the PSP put on an event out in the middle of the boondocks, then when they drop one right in your back yard like chicago they complain about that.

dumb a$$ paintballers they will never be happy! so why should the PSP or the NPPL even try to make them happy. Besides that fact that Paintball players are stupid and keep coming back for more. If you went out to dinner and the service was crap and the food sucked would you go back? ok maybe say well I'll give them another try so you go back and same crap again bad service bad food would you go back a third time? I know I wouldn't But that just goes to show how dumb us paintballer are ***** $ucks but we keep going back. duh if you don't like the service the PSP or the NPPL gives you then stop going and just play your local crap.

Last edited by makeumwareit : 11-09-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 PM #71
Fat Adam
Boom..Headshot

Fat Adam supports Pev's Paintball
Fat Adam plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker_77
oh... SO-CAL .. like in South California .. close to the border with MEXICO ..humm .... ok ..and if you play paintball for personal reasons that is great.. and to dominate .. that is awsome ... but dominate what .. if you as a player do not want to contribute to a sport that so much has given you .. why play it ? don't you want to be like dynasty ... oh oh ... bad example .. how about XSV ?? dominate ... and they are using the money that you wanted to use to dominate ... to be the best and clear other teams of your path .. but since other teams and bad reff calls did not let you complete your path...then you have to bring the issue of the water ...because the lack of water dimished your capacity to run or dominate .... damn ! also those damn reffs ... horrid calls ... and I am not blaming the PLAYERS .in genereal .. i am only against the one that complain ..... have you reff a game in your life before .. ?? see .. and about the feelings ?? are you going to bring the card, my feelings are hurt ? i think is the contrary , because that 7 - 1 did not take you anywhere ...

to be continued ...

i dont feel the need to argue with you, but rather to proclaim that you sir...are a ****ing idiot
LNIB Black/Gold Clone VX FS!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:57 PM #72
brsofla

My boyz and I went to Miami, it was our first real tourny, so we didn't know what to expect. We went Saturday and Sunday. Had a great time, although it was really hot.

I'll admit the parking was bad, but it's MIAMI, yo!! It's bad everywhere, duh. We just pulled up on the curb and s'all good.

Vendors, well a few of the biggies were missing, but the rest were real cool. No bargans, but good eye candy, none the less.

Food was the pits unless you liked greasy chicken or pork on a stick. What was that really, dog or cat?

For those not there, the VIP grandstands were supposed to be $40.00 a head on Sunday. Well, the crowd was so light and ESPN needed to film full stands that there was no fee for the seats. Kinda nice. We got to wave, get free stuff (cheap) and watch the main field all day. O.K. by me.

We watched the semi and finals and at times the play was slow. How slow, well there were a number of matches were the time expired and there were still 3 or 4 players a side left. Yawn. Maybe it was stratigy, I don't know. Maybe a 1/2 game tie is better than a loss. Ask the teams. There all seemed to have a post and hold game plan for the second games. Thanks Dynasty (Ollie) for a few exciting run throughs. Other than that it was the Superbowl with paint.

Summed up, it was free to watch, expensive to eat, and local to us. Can't beat that with a stick. Sorry some others didn't have a good time, but than if you lost, there is no good time. Peace out
Old 11-10-2005, 09:06 AM #73
paintballma

Reading this thread and trying to be logical with the obstacles that NPPL had to overcome with the hurricane issues, it makes it a little more difficult to critique this event. I do know that the lighting isssues were a direct result of the hurricane (NPPL had ordered more lights, but they were still being used on clean up sites), the lack of fruit (if that is even a big deal) is probably hurricane related. The backup on the NPPL field was not hurricane related, but TV related, and everyone should have seen this coming, of course everyone would be impacted by having to work around what a camera crew and what they want to see.
But that having been said there were things that to me were directly in NPPLs lap...location, sorry but I do not appreciate going to a venue where I literally am accosted by street people every block, and cannot leave my hotel alone at night (our hotel was only blocks from the field), and having to step over the ones sleeping on the sidewalk. The extra fees for parking at hotels or on the street, the lack of any cleaning crews on fields other than NPPL field which directly affected the outcome of several games that I saw, it made the refs jobs that much more difficult. Maybe it was just me but usually I see all the NPPL reps down in the pits checking things out and fixing problems, but this event the only one I saw was Sean, and only once. Security was horrible (and in response to the prior posts, some of us cannot bring extra people across country to watch our stuff). I watched 2 instances of players catching theifs red handed, and much to their credit restrained themselves from beating them silly, only to have to wait at least 20 minutes for someone to come and get the theifs (and still did not see a NPPL rep), and then to hear they were not arrested (can someone confirm this?). For the person who posted that Dan was riding around on a golf cart, you must have not been there, he was either riding a bike or literally running from field to field trying to stay on top of things. By Sunday morning the pit area was a complete disaster (yes, of course it would be nice if people would clean up their own area, but that does not happen, but usually NPPL has cleanup going all during the tourney). As usual the refs were overworked and underpaid, but like everyone else they seemed totally burned out and not up to par. None of this is sour grapes, since we got to play on Sunday, just observation. If you were truly unhappy with the event, if you don't let NPPL know specifics they won't know what their customers thought.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:01 PM #74
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

anjordan77 plays in the USPL
anjordan77 donated to help Peyton Trent
anjordan77 helped look for balloons
anjordan77 is playing at Living Legends III
anjordan77 is Boss
oh gosh, here comes my $.02

ok, parking was terrible as it was everywhere in miami, but somehow we managed to fit everyone in there somewhere that wanted to be there.

the venue layout was soo confusing i was walking in circles and didn't even know it. i think with the park layout they had to be very creative with putting fields in there since you can't really have palm trees or other things in the playing field.

the water...well glad i didn't drink any of it cuz i heard everyone got sick friday morning.

scheduling...got very behind and obviously didn't factor in that the length of day is shorter this time of year...they were really smart and took all the games that were slowed down by pros(as usual) and spread them out at 630am the following day.
i think the games got behind because of the pros and the filming yes, how do you solve this, just give the pros their own field to play on the whole event and don't schedule random divisional games on those fields.

reffing, same old reffing, i mean we had players pulled with rub since we had no cleaning crew on the divisional fields but it's an understandable mistake...

lighting....haha, is all i can say...

hurricane, well nobody can control the problems caused by the hurricanes like the random blown out lights, palm trees, windows, etc. but i think the event did well regardless...it's awesome that espn and outdoor life channel were out there

grass playing surface was actually very awesome, the field layouts i thought were very good also...if you found yourselves stalemating, then try moving down the field. we didn't stalemat once in our 11 games...i don't even think a game lasted longer than 5 minutes.

Security...oh my gosh i have never seen soo many paintballers come together and tackle thieves before. Dude with a NPPL Staff shirt tried to steal Spesh's stuff from all Americans....and tried to play it off...he was walked out with handcuffs on by the cops...about 1 hour later sunday dude tried to steal someone from Sinful's proto and luckily Ramon had been watching WWE wrestling and body slammed the dude 6inches into the ground and stayed on the dude til the cops came. that's 2 thieves in 1 hour...something's gonna have to be done about protecting the players from thieving bastards like those...i know there were very vulnerable spots in the fencing and sunday anyone with a band could even get in even if they didn't make quarters since scheduling fell behind.

Hotels and flights were very difficult to get to miami. not many flights from Richmond, Denver, norfolk, newport news, etc. flew into miami thursday the day of walking the fields..i still say NPPL needs to sign an agreement with an AIRLINE and hook us players up with some really good airfares. it's a paint to get to events...we had to stay sunday night when we usually fly out sunday night and had to get there wed. nite so it added that much money...plus the additional costs for parking our car on our hotel's sidewalk...

overall though i think this was an ok tourney mainly because of the tv crews hopefully promoting our sport in a positive way. i think too much attention was given to the pro bracket and not enough on divisional play(their money makers).

FYI: South Beach is a topless BEACH!!! hahaha...found that out sunday after we got knocked out by triple tap(good playin).

so yeah for 2006 what i wanna see:

1. Airline Sponsor for NPPL(better deals on flying for everyone)
2. Rental Sponsor for NPPL(better discounts for players)
3. Hotel Sponsors for NPPL(better discounts for players)
4. More Secure Venues
5. of course put my team on espn and outdoor life
6. More Pro Refs that are at every event(up their pay) and allow them to work one session instead of working both...they are taxed enough as it is.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM #75
Takedown

Takedown is a Supporting Member
Takedown is a Professional paintball player
Takedown is attending Decay of Nations VI
Wow, great points anjordan77 and paintballma , agree with what you brought up!

We did not run into issues with flights or hotels, but we also stayed about 15 miles away from the site and we were flying from the west coast. We had to find a hotel last minute after our hotel was without power, but it worked out. We didn't have issue parking at the event, always seemed to be a spot, and our hotel had it's own lot, but that was due to it's location not being near downtown.

I've decided at the events I'll be locking my bag to the table and locking the main compartment between games. It sucks to have to do that, but I'm not about to lose my gear.

Here is my input on the Miami event.

I thought Miami was a mediocre event for the players, but it looks like everyone had to make sacrafices for the ESPN coverage, I just hope it turns out exciting and is a hit with the viewers and execs. It'd be great to get HB on TV, that event is always the best!!!

Pros
Pure Promotions pulled off the event despite the area being hit by a hurricane! The event was almost like an oasis in a desert, except this time it was paintball fields amongst a battered city.

Moving the teams to the fields was pretty good, constant update on who was up next and that they should head to the field.

ESPN - congrats on getting a deal for at least an event!

Outdoor Network - Looking forward to the coverage from all year

Field designs - Some of the fields worked well, others were stalemate fields, overall pretty good.

In the middle
Refs - Lots of experienced refs which was nice, however still some that don't have a clue. Watched a team get a 3 for 1 for asking for a paint check, that was interesting, lol. This will be an ongoing battle. Need the refs to be on shifts, can't expect them to work through lunch, and if you can't do shifts then have additional refs to rotate through the fields so the refs can take breaks.

Cons
Miami - it's not the nicest area and the 3 times I have been there (twice for tournaments, once for a cruise) I came to the same conclusion, Miami is not for me. Sounds like it was worse for the people that stayed near the site.

Layout - The event was spread out to much, I'd imagine it was difficult for friends to find the teams they were looking for.

Security - Maybe due to the layout the security was to lax. Players area was not secured in the slightest, anyone could get through the gates. Was only checked for a wristband on the first day.

Water - Can't have bad water at an event, that's just not good for the "athletes". I personally did not get sick, but I stopped drinking the water once I heard people were feeling ill.

Scheduling - Played 3 games the first day and 5 games the next. Waited 3 hours on Friday to find out our last game would be moved, even though there were lights on the NPPL field. Also had to wait for a long time while the pros finished their finals before we could finish the semi pro finals.

Format - Not prepared for the change in format, more research needed to be done whether teams would stalemate or not. Quarter finals should have definitely been for overal points, not wins and losses. Perhaps each team played every other team 2-3 times like in HB.

Cleanup - Fields other then NPPL were a mess. Watched a semi pro team in the finals talk their way out of a hit because of the mess on all the bunkers, should have at least been cleaned up for the semis and finals.

Hired Crew - Air guy in the pro tent was asleep nearly the entire time, didn't do much for filling safety, probably should of had one of the normal air people down there. Tent cleanup crew could not be trusted, NPPL even warned players to watch their gear, I nearly had a gun stolen by one of the cleanup people.

Suggestions

Teams only play within their division. Schedule could be setup so teams are in and out in 3 hours instead of being there all day long to play 3 games. Or have teams there all day, but have them play all of their prelim games.

Find a venue other then Miami, HB/Tampa/S.D./Denver all great locations.

Feeder events - Teams qualify to play in the big events, reduces the number of teams/fields/etc at the major events making things more manageable.

People that come from an area that have a lot of players in the NPPL should speak with airlines out of their area and get a group rate. I know when I fly out on a Wednesday red eye and back on a Monday morning flight that easily %25-%50 of the plane is nppl players, that ought to get people a break on their ticket.

This is coming from someone who placed at the event and has been very happy since the NPPL started.

Last edited by Takedown : 11-10-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:06 PM #76
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

anjordan77 is Boss
it would be nice to play all your games quick quick quick, then leave...better yet...why not have you play on just one field, stage at the field, with air at the field... quick quick quick....and be outta there and actually get to watch games, spend money at vendors, or go to the lunch special at the titty bar.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM #77
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

anjordan77 is Boss
i say setup in brackets of 9. stage at the 1 field they play on. run 1 game every 10 minutes. that's 360 minutes for a bracket of 9. or 6 hours

you can have 54 teams done in 6 hours due to 6 fields...that's pretty cool. and the games would be intense, back 2 back with your group of 9.

so with 12 hours the first day you could have 108 teams done playing on friday, saturday you could have 216 teams done playing....
Old 11-10-2005, 02:28 PM #78
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

anjordan77 is Boss
just think about it, no more (RICHMOND RIOT AND TRIPLE TAP TO THE SPYDER FIELD) on the frikkin intercom...you are at your field, staging, ready to play...you don't have to hike 3 miles to get to your field. you will actually have to be smart and come up with different game plans because all of your teams will be watching you play and adjusting according. it can be worked up so schedule is like this:
1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, 9v1, 2v3, 4v5, 6v7, 8v9

so you have 30 minutes to get ready between games which is more than enough time.

you get your 8 games done in 6 or less hours depending on how fast this goes...setup enough staging areas so 18 teams can stage and theres no break between group A and group B to get ready. it will require less parking because i guaruntee group A won't be there all day after they are done.