Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 AM #1
gastric
Trusted seller! BUY! BUY!

gastric is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Search not generating all results?

I'm on the hunt for an Impulse threaded barrel so I'm searching for IMPULSE in the BARRELS forum frequently. However, it doesn't seem to be generating all of the results it should.

1. Open a Search
2. Enter IMPULSE in the search field
3. Select FS/BARRELS forum
4. Select ONE MONTH
5. Leave all other settings default
6. Search
7. Note the results don't include this thread http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1031350 or this thread http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1043505

The only thing I can figure is that the thread I noted has the following text "impulse/" and "impulse," However, if you search on those terms it still doesn't show up. Search on IMPULSE* and it doesnt show up. Search on *IMPULSE* and it doesn't show up.

And I utilizing search incorrectly or is there an issue?

Thanks.

Last edited by gastric : 06-13-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 AM #2
gastric

I'm having a similar issue with searching for posts with small keywords such as the following:

* On
* Off
* CP

These all have valid posts that meet the criteria as found by manually browsing the first page or two of the Misc FS forum. However, the Search utility almost instantly reports no topic found.

What's the point of having Search if it cannot successfully search?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:59 AM #3
god of war
---FallOut---

god of war is a Supporting Member
I'm also having these problems while searching for threads that I've replied to. It shows a couple that I replied to today, but not several others.

****EDIT: this post doesn't show up on the search for my user name either.

Last edited by god of war : 07-12-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:52 AM #4
Tony
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric
I'm on the hunt for an Impulse threaded barrel so I'm searching for IMPULSE in the BARRELS forum frequently. However, it doesn't seem to be generating all of the results it should.

1. Open a Search
2. Enter IMPULSE in the search field
3. Select FS/BARRELS forum
4. Select ONE MONTH
5. Leave all other settings default
6. Search
7. Note the results don't include this thread http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1031350 or this thread http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1043505

The only thing I can figure is that the thread I noted has the following text "impulse/" and "impulse," However, if you search on those terms it still doesn't show up. Search on IMPULSE* and it doesnt show up. Search on *IMPULSE* and it doesn't show up.

And I utilizing search incorrectly or is there an issue?

Thanks.
The search runs against a table that is cached and not the live data. The information is updated once every hour so you won't be able to search something unless it's at least one hour old.

The search will return a maximum of 250 results on the past 4 months of information.

You cannot find words less than 3 characters.

Unfortunately the limitations we have in place are needed. I wish it were otherwise but I've spent many hours as it is just getting it to the level of performance that it's at. It has been improved since the old version of our software and I think that's important.

I'm sorry that our search is not ideal but we are limited in our resources. As far as I know all vbulletin sites our size are in the same boat.

I've had the best results by searching via thread titles.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:01 AM #5
gastric

Tony, thanks for replying to my thread. Note that I believe I'm reporting two separate issues here:

ISSUE 1: I cannot search for CP or ON. They instantly report no results found when in fact there are dozens. Apparently this falls into your comment of "...you cannot find words less than 3 characters..." which is acceptable. However, rather than invoke the "nothing found" screen which implies a search was performed and nothing was found invoke a different screen PRIOR to performing the search that indicates something like "You cannot search for keywords less than three characters" That would seem to be an easy one to fix, just some extra validation logic when the user presses the Search Now button.

ISSUE 2: This is the one I initially reported where a search for IMPULSE doesn't find threads with the text IMPULSE/ or IMPULSE, I believe this is a defect in the search functionality. It's not considering / and , for some reason even when searching using wildcards. Just to clarify, both of the threads I specifically referred to that should have generated hits had existed for more than an hour before I searched. Additionally, the first thread would have been a hit against the thread title, the second the thread message body. I see no reason why they shouldn't have been found. My guess is it has to do with the potential system/code characters.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:45 AM #6
wolf13
freelancer

wolf13 is a Supporting Member
wolf13 is a founding member
Will we ever get the ability to search farther then 4 months back back?

Discussion and photos on anything autococking from sniper 1 to MQ:
www.CustomCockers.com
Old 07-17-2005, 09:04 PM #7
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric
Tony, thanks for replying to my thread. Note that I believe I'm reporting two separate issues here:

ISSUE 1: I cannot search for CP or ON. They instantly report no results found when in fact there are dozens. Apparently this falls into your comment of "...you cannot find words less than 3 characters..." which is acceptable. However, rather than invoke the "nothing found" screen which implies a search was performed and nothing was found invoke a different screen PRIOR to performing the search that indicates something like "You cannot search for keywords less than three characters" That would seem to be an easy one to fix, just some extra validation logic when the user presses the Search Now button.
That wouldn't fix it unless someone puts "cp" in the search field. If you parsed the search phrase for words less than 3 letters and then errored, you would effectively cancel anyones ability to search if they included 2 letter or less words in their search phrase. If you were to search for "cp barrel blue" now, you'd get back search results for "barrel blue", but under your proposed system, you'd get an error message back saying that you can't search for 3 words which would make people have to hit back and modify their search. At least with the current system people get some results back they can sort through, rather than having to hit back, revise their search and retry it.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 PM #8
gastric

To better define my requirements it should invoke a more specific error if the user is searching for:

* A single keyword search that is less than the minimum required characters
* A multiple keyword search where all keywords are less than the minimum required characters

Some simple informational text on the search screen would be acceptable as well. "Note: keywords 3 or less characters will be ignored" or something else that's clear and understandable.

I personally do a lot of searches on keywords with small characters. CP NDZ ON OFF UL etc. There's a ton. It's annoying that it won't search on these, and more annoying that the software doesn't protect/alert me that my searches aren't including these.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:56 PM #9
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
FYI, the 3 letter limit has been in place.. forever. It was actually 4 characters from like 2001-2002 before I changed it down to 3 so people could search for abbrevations. Keep in mind there are over 12 million posts on this site, which is somewhere over 3gb worth of text. If our search indexed every single character, the search would suck even more.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:04 PM #10
gastric

I'm not complaining about the 3 letter search being in place, just that it's misleading to indicate you're performing a search on these keywords when in fact you're not.

Note I've been a member since 2001, I use search extensively, and I just finally noticed this issue recently.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:27 AM #11
crankwalk

crankwalk is a Supporting Member
Hello all.. since this thread is about the search not generating all results, I figured I'd try my luck here.. I think there might be something wrong with trying to search for an exact phrase. For example I want to look up "ram sleeve" as an exact phrase, so I put it in quotes.. I only get hits for "ram". I tried ram AND sleeve (boolean), and also 'ram sleeve' -- all those only produce hits for "ram", sleeve never even shows up anywhere so its not generating all the results it should be. If this isn't a bug, what is the proper way to search for exact phrases now that the exact phrase option in the advanced search is gone? Thanks.