PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-11-2001, 05:44 PM #1
ren

has been a member for 10 years
Hey ya'll,
I've been hearing about these new "marbalizers" which RPScherer is making. They are called "Advantage balls" Somehow, they are very close to seamless, have a DRY shell, unlike marbs, and are cheaper too (55 bucks a case). I have also heard they are about .689 boresize. Please post if you know anything about these paintballs.
Also...WHERE CAN I BUY SOME?

Last edited by ren : 05-11-2001 at 06:12 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2001, 06:04 PM #2
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

PMI/RPS Advantage

I believe you are referring to the PMI/RP ADVANTAGE balls. If you look at any box of PMI/RPS paint there will be a red sticker that says it is the new advantage ball.

What you have heard is true. It has a very different texture to 'conventional' balls - not as glossy or oily feeling. The closest thing to no seam you have ever seen. Roll it along a glass top and you can't tell where the seam is. You really have to look close to see the seam.

At the field we cut one of the balls to see how it was made. It looks almost like there are two shells. A normal shell and then a thin covering to make it have less of a seam and a different texture. They still break really well though.

How did it shoot? To be honest, when I was playing I didn't say "WOW! OMG! These shoot so straight". When I was playing I would have been hard pressed to identify if they were normal marbs or advantage paint. I guess this is no bad thing as marbs are a good, straight flying paint but there is just no huge difference with the advantage formula. Now *maybe* if you bench tested marbs Vs advantage then you would find a difference... I think it would be very small though.

The only two chops I have had in my AALCD so far were with advantage so I do have mixed feling about them. To be fair I think my batteries were getting very low at that point so that may have contributed.

The other thing that makes me wonder... The balls have kind of a 'rougher' feeling to them. I don't know how much of this just feeling and how much rougher they are than normal balls. I did think of a couple of things if they are rougher though-
1) Increased friction in the barrel -> less eficiency?
2) Increased drag in flight -> faster velocity loss -> less range (would be slight I admit)?
3) Would pick up broken paint in barrel and therefor clean breaks faster? maybe?

My advice - try them! They certainly are a very round, consistent ball. Maybe call them marbs+ It is worth the price to test them out and get a close look at the new texture. I think it is great that a company is trying to improve something so critical to accuracy. We all know about paint to barrel match but having a big seam on a ball is a limiting factor for accuracy. Props to RPS for (again) improving paintballs to have almost no seam.

I really want to hear what others think of this paint too.

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
"Shiznaz? Bizomb? Bling-bling? Doesn't *anyone* speak English anymore?"
Old 05-11-2001, 06:11 PM #3
ren

Good review, thanks for clearing a lot of stuff up mike!
More than anything- WHERE CAN I BUY A CASE!!??
I really gotta try some of these things! I shoot a phantom, usually with marbs, and most of the time I can pretty much lay paint on paint at about 110 feet...pretty much. After about 20 shots, with a good steady shooter, I will have groupings within 3" of eachother...it basically will look like one big splat. But this isn't good enough! From time to time I will get one or two strays, which are 1 to 2 inches off and I just won't settle. I need THE most accurate ball, period.
-Is it true they are only 55 bucks a case? holy cabbage!
Old 05-11-2001, 06:16 PM #4
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

Talking Almost!

I bought a case for $60 from a store that has good prices so I guess that is te going rate. I am lead to believe that any place that stocks PMI paint should have it as the factory will gradually be making all their balls with the new advantage formula. I guess you will just have to call around and find who has some in sock.

Man - I would *love* to see how it went out of a phantom! Those things always seem so accurate anyway! Let us know how it goes if you run som advantage through it.

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
Old 05-11-2001, 06:27 PM #5
ren

My phantom shoots oatmeal squares mad accurate...it rocks! On a good day with stable temperatures and no wind, I LITERALLY lay paint on paint 14 out of 15 times from 90 feet. I asked a guy to guess how many shots a hit on a target was and he said something like, "I dunno...looks like one ball with a crazy thick fill" and I said...actually, it's 11 paintballs.

so who makes these balls, PMI or RPS? Or is PMI a division of RPS....
Old 05-11-2001, 06:44 PM #6
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

Wink Yep

I can't remember who bought who but yes, RPS and PMI are the same company these days. The box I bought was PMI branded with an RPS 'New/Improved ADVANTAGE formula' red sticker slapped on it.

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
Old 05-11-2001, 06:45 PM #7
ren

Damn. I want a case. Any idea who will be carrying them?
Old 05-11-2001, 06:53 PM #8
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

Try this

If you care to buy online, this is the box I bought. Difference is now there is a sticker on the box advising it is the new advantage formula.
http://www.actionvillage.com/paintba...aintballs.html

I would suggest you call paintballgear before you order and confirm that they have the new advantage formula there (If not the boxes must be pretty old).

The store I bought mine from :
http://www.azpaintball.com/
Not sure if they even do online orders for paint, but I know they have it.

Call your local stores - most places should have this stuff now.

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
Old 05-11-2001, 07:46 PM #9
ren

Cool, thanks a lot for the info...I think I will buy a case when I get the cash. Are ALL the PMI paints that paintballgear is carrying the advantages, or do I have to specify? And when did this whole advantage thing start? Also, is it just the shell which is affected, or both the shell and the fill?
Any why oh why is the price so looooww?
Old 05-12-2001, 01:00 AM #10
Ridge Boy
Gun Tech

The new Marballizer is great, and they break on target allot easier. You can drop one from waist high and it will break on the floor, but shoots through your gun wonderfully. The new advantage is the best paint ever made.
As for velocity, I had some regular Marbs & some of the new Marbs. With the old Marballizer my velocity was around 285 +-5. I then loaded some of the new in, and the velocity jumped up to 295 +-2. You can't get much better than that.
Making Paintball Affordable Since 1998....
www.hpsperformance.com

Proud supporter of Owensboropaintball.com and all paintball players....
Old 05-12-2001, 07:11 AM #11
ren

thanks a lot for the info- if you don't mind my asking, where did you buy yours?
Old 05-15-2001, 10:13 PM #12
flech

My friend and I bought a case of all stars and a case of marbs with the advantage shell. Both of them were incredibly small. They both slid through my boomstick, dye stainless, j&j two piece, and even a lapco autospirit. Good thing my friend had a breachsizer, otherwise I would've had balls rolling out the tip of my barrel all day. I didn't see any amazing improvement in break characteristics or flight...I still have a whole bunch left over so we'll see how they hold up.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:21 PM #13
ren

Well what boresize are the advantage paints? I thought they were .689... damnit! the LAST thing I need is another anorexic paint in my barrel
I just want a friggin TRUE .688 boresize paint which flies straight as hell, thats all!!! ARGH!
Old 05-21-2001, 11:16 PM #14
dfw03

www.shop4paintball.com has them for 57
Old 05-22-2001, 03:55 PM #15
ren

a little word of the wise...dont EVER buy from shop4. They do a **** job of packing and the guys are jerks. I ordered a case of marbs. They come in late, broken, and the wrong color. On top of that, they won't even switch it for me. Never again.
Not I do business with paintballgear.com
anyway, anyone else have something to say about the paint?
Old 05-22-2001, 06:34 PM #16
slimrules

don't get them, we used them for a tourney that we had to use, and they SUCKED. they broke a lot and it was the worst paint i have every used
Old 05-22-2001, 06:51 PM #17
evolve

I've been using the Advantage-enhanced paint for a while now, and I have to say that I love it. It breaks easily, but never in my gun, and I'm fairly sure my accuracy has increased a bit as well. I think of comparing the old rps with the new Advantage as comparing a pitch thrown in baseball with a dry ball to a pitch thrown wet, ie, a spitball. The presence of extra moisture or grease on the paintball can cause slight curves, dips, etc, in flight pattern, while a dryer ball will generally tend to follow a straighter flight path. Of course, your paint/barrel match and the conditions you play in will all affect all that, but from what I've experienced, this is the straightest-shooting paint I've used (Advantage marb with .688 boomstick.) I would recommend, as others above have, buying a case and trying it for yourself. At the very least, you won't be bothered with that annoying residue on your hands after filling your pods and hopper.
Old 05-23-2001, 12:41 PM #18
staschio
Gold bond is great!

I didnt haqve a good experience with these new balls at all. I was shooting my Nova 700, which shoots any old, brittle, worthless paint with ease, and I had 2 breaks in 200 balls ( thats all of these that I tried) It did shoot quite well, but I do not know what the deal was with them, I do know that 95 psi isn't a lot of pressure on a pb. Maybe I just got a bad case, but I am sticking with direct hit/proball...rp is too inconsistant for me.

oh yeah, http://www.bbtpaintball.com/ has them for 54
Old 05-23-2001, 11:39 PM #19
ren

Jeesh, I'm inbetween a rock and a hard place...
are they supposed to look like the PMI's?