PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-25-2001, 05:23 PM #1
KRG_Misfits

has been a member for 10 years
I have had a Proteus as a demo from my local dealer to try out, play with, lend out, etc for the past couple of weeks. It has been worn by a number of different people (adults and kids) both in games and just reffing. Here are my comments based on actual usage: (and for the record, I am not a newbie... played ball for 9+ years on and off, tournaments, rec, etc)

The much talked about earpieces... the way the mask is designed is that the goggle strap does not go from lens frame to lens frame, but rather there is a short goggle strap at the back. This means that the earpieces form a cone around your ears. Yes, you can hear MUCH better as you don't have a goggle strap right over your ears. They are directional and I can tell you having played in a tourny this weekend that you can hear your dumper player much better with the pieces turned around.

On the fan. It is not a X-wind but in fact is called a Vortex and it is MUCH quieter than even the X-wind was. If you wear glasses (like I do) then fogging can be a problem and I found that the mask can clear itself in under 10secs if you totally fog up. For most though, a few seconds is all you need to clear it up and then you can turn it off again. The fan has a two way switch on it that means you can force air down into the mask, or you can draw air out of the mask (whichever works best for you).

The overall fit. The mask sits very close to your face and the bottom of it contours along your jawline. The mask has tons of ventilation areas on it, including the nose area, so be prepared for some more paint to come through if you take it full on in the face. Your teammates will be able to understand you better, and you won't have to yell quite as much because the round area in front of the mask makes it easier to be understood. The actual mask piece is all uni-body meaning all one piece. The lens frame is still the Spectra kind so no change there.

Overall my estimation is that this is a quality product. I had no problems with mine during the tournament as its light, and fit great. I would suggest a throat guard if you don't already wear one and are concernced about taking shots in the throat as the mask does not extend down very far.

Only the individual can decide whether this mask is for them based on looks etc. But as far as what a mask is supposed to do... well... it protects my eyes with the JT quality that I have come to expect.

My thoughts and experience so far...
Old 04-28-2001, 01:57 PM #2
pirate
mutiny!

pirate is a Supporting Member
pirate is a founding member
I have one too and I am really liking it, my only problem is that the goggle strap works itself loose after running or after a game, do you have a similar problem? I like the feel much better than I ever did the feel of a Flex, I won't buy a new mask until the next "greatest mask" comes out .
Old 04-30-2001, 05:59 PM #3
KRG_Misfits

I haven't noticed that...

... though I did find (as I am a glasses wearer) that when I pull the mask out to get it off from around my glasses that the goggle strap would pop loose from one side or the other. I corrected that by simply loosening the strap first.

I was concerned initially that if the strap came off simply pulling it off that it might come off in a game situation but I played a tourny weekend with it and had no problems whatsoever and I play front so I was sliding, ducking, weaving, you name it the moves were coming out.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:39 PM #4
dweazel
Team Thrash

can one of you post a pic please??

thanks
14" FREAK

***gen-x minicocker***FOR SALE
***nitro duck adj 68***FOR SALE

http://www.thrashpaintball.com
Old 05-01-2001, 05:48 PM #5
KRG_Misfits

Ok, here you go...

Proteus:

Also you can see one on JT USA
Old 05-01-2001, 09:04 PM #6
archangel
the dark side

Thumbs up

I love my proteus very much ...
Diablo paintball
Old 05-06-2001, 04:25 PM #7
joshie450

joshie450 is a founding member
very ugly :)

if you wana pay for it fine but any thermal mask that fits your head works
Cobra Led #25 of 25 f/s and f/t
~Western Massacre~
e-mail-joshie450@aol.com
AIM-joshie450

the only place your sposed to wipe at a tourny is in the sandy can~oh yea
Old 05-06-2001, 06:13 PM #8
pirate
mutiny!

pirate is a Supporting Member
pirate is a founding member
It looks ugly on display, but wearing it looks better than any Flex or anything because it is so snug to the face. Its something you can only judge by using it.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:55 AM #9
PB_Rhyno

Looong reply

I love mine
I got seriously tired of my wet noodle- flex 7. I like the way my Proteus holds it's shape and fits snugly. My flexxxxxy always felt alien - like a motorcycle helmet when I wore it, but the Pro feels more like custom fit system. I've heard alot of detractors talk about not getting bounces off the Pro's lower piece, but I haven't had a ball break when hitting it yet. My 7 seemed to attract paint to the lower section like a magnet, then shred paint like a hard jaw. In the end, it all comes down to whats comfortable for YOU. Not another person who doesn't own a piece of equipment you like, and raggs on it because they either- 1. dont have the cash to buy it (so it must be junk), or 2. Has ANY concern about how something looks- as opposed to how it works (hey!, a bunch of people are wearing it- so it must be cool...pathetic sheep, Baaaaaa!). Flame away non users- I'm all about trying something before forming an opinion. Remember if it works for you-buy it!, if not- find something that does.
Sorry about the rant, but it gets really old when people form an op about something they've never used (Sheeple).
Old 05-15-2001, 02:04 AM #10
dc_

I just got mine

and the first time I wore it the strap felt snug until I ran and it started to walk down. But since I have started to tighten it up, it stays where I want it. It seems to work better when I wear a hat backwards than without. Overall I like it, but it's like someone above said, you have to see it on someone. Everybody that said it was ugly at the field changed their mind when they saw it on a head. As for the "enhanced hearing". Yeah, you can hear better without the straps on yours ears, but I noticed no "sound funneling" effect. Heck, I TOTALLY covered up the pods and slots behind them and could hear just the same as my uncovered ear. Baloney, Jt, Baloney. But I suspect that has something to do with the baffle foam not extending to the flexible lower portion of the jaw. I still like it though. My favorite feature is the fact that I can totally touch my jaw to my chest and the mask won't push up on my head. Full, unimpeded head rotation and it's light.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:06 AM #11
TiGs

This mask is very comfortable and I can hear so much better. I actually got a few bounces off the visor which is a good thing.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:53 PM #12
Exilict

Exilict is a Supporting Member
Exilict is a founding member
Exilict donated to help Peyton Trent
Exilict plays in the APPA D5 division
I have been using my mask for about 2 months now (minus last week because it is on its way to JT) I REALLY like the mask. I play alot of indoor ball, and to be blunt, the place gets HOT! Even the thermals fog up, and my glasses make it that much worse, the fan takes care of it all....

I did take a close shot to the face, and unlike my flex 7, i didnt take a shot to the chin, insted, it just broke on the mask leaving my pretty face welt free...

Now I have been playing just as long as most of you guys, and I will say, this is one of the first masks that dont cause problems on the field.

I shouldn't say NO problems, I did have the mask slip down when I took a shot to the visor, I was then nailed right in the temple, it wasnt a plesent feeling.......