Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM #1
schneid4323

schneid4323 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Smart Parts Will Destroy Paintball

Smart Parts Will Destroy Paintball
by Doc Nickel
In the early eighties, Bob Gurnsey passed up a chance to patent all paintball- the very idea of the game- since it would stifle the nascent sport and keep it from growing.

In the late eighties, Tippmann declines to patent the CO2 tank "pin valve", since doing so would prevent it's widespread use and adoption, and Tippmann knew it was far safer and more useful than any of the other cobbled options players were using.

A year or two later, Glenn Palmer passes up the chance to patent pneumatic automation- the method by which an Autococker, Typhoon and Blazer work. He wasn't interested in keeping a stranglehold on the idea, and wanted to see it used and improved.

In the very early nineties, FASTech declines to fight PMI over the stacked-valve blowback semiauto patent. This opens the door to low-cost semiautos, which by themselves are singularly responsible for a major percentage of paintball's growth through the ninties.

About that same time, Tom Kaye refuses to patent the regulated nitrogen system, since he felt it was a superior power source over CO2. Without the HPA systems, our current high-speed, high-ROF markers and ultra-stable regulators simply wouldn't have worked.

And now, now we have Smart Parts. Smart Parts wants to patent the very idea of using electricity in any manner to fire a paintball.

What does this mean? Cash. Raw greed. Smart Parts is looking to literally corner the market. If the patent goes through as declared, every manufacturer that makes an electric or electronic paintball gun will have to pay SP royalties on each marker produced. Or pay a licensing fee, or whatever SP decides they want to do.

A thread over on Automags.Org hints that SP might ask a cool million bucks for the licensing fee, and $75 per unit on top of that.

Know what that means? That means the fees come from YOU, the player. Increased costs of manufacturing are always passed on to the consumer. If it costs more to make it, you'll pay more for it in the store.

Let's take an example: Let's say ICD estimates they'll sell 20,000 Bushmasters in the next couple of years. We know a Bushy costs about $400 now, give or take. That million-dollar fee adds $50 per unit right off the top, and another $75 means that, with ZERO other changes, the cost of a Bushmaster just went up $125.

How about $1,300 Angel Speeds? Or $1,800 IR3s. $500 E-Spyders. $1,900 Intimidators. $600 Black Draguns.

That $1,600 Lasoya Timmy? They're not gonna sell 20,000 of 'em. They might sell 400. That's $2,500 in licensing fees before you even buy the marker. Think that a $4,175 marker will be good for the sport?

But, of course, SP will have $450 Impulses and $750 Shockers.

This, boys and girls, is what's known as a Monopoly. Ask Bill Gates and the US Justice Department- and Apple Computers- if a Monopoly is a good thing.

Our carefree honeymoon is over. The days of altruistic industry greats willing to make a small sacrifice for the good of the sport, are over. Randy Kamiya used to write about small inter-industry squabbles, and his analogy was, rather than try and stab somebody in the back for a bigger share of the pie, let's work to make a bigger pie.

This is no longer good enough for Smart Parts. They want a bigger pie, and more of it. Electros are the fastest-growing segment of the sport right now, mainly thanks to the recent advent of the low-cost "sear tripper" electro-blowbacks. For the first time, a player can buy a pretty decent electro for a pretty decent price, and actually have a good marker.

Is SP looking at that, seeing the dropoff in Shocker sales- their self-described "flagship" marker- and sales of their Impulse- which is commonly considered a midrange electro which needs several upgrades, such and an LPR, to be tournament ready- being undercut by the Bushmaster, the Defiant, even the Intimidator, as well as the fleets of entry-level sear-trippers?

Are they looking at that, and deciding they want a bigger slice of the pie? What other explanation can there be?

Will Smart Parts be magnanimous and only charge a very small token royalty? History says otherwise- remember, after all, that SP is the company that sold two versions of the Shocker, one the standard semiauto, the other a full-auto. All the circuit boards were exactly the same, the full-auto ones just had a small microswitch soldered to preexisting contacts. For that switch, the player paid a hundred dollars or more extra.

This is the same company that drilled a hole in a plastic Armson elbow ($3 retail) stuck a length of pneumatics hose in it and called it an "Air Assist", which retailed at $35.

This is the company that deliberately used a unique barrel thread on the Shocker in order to sell more barrels. When they brought the Impulse out, it had yet another barrel thread, incompatible with anything else.

In order to sell more barrels.

I, for one, would not count on Smart Parts' charity in this matter.

I will admit I'm a fan of some of SP's products. I've always been a fan of the Max Flow HPA system. It's maintenence-intensive, but it's a very good reg. The so-called "Smart Valve" is finally a reliable, rebuildable shutoff valve for CO2 tanks, which have always been troublesome.

I've also enjoyed owning and working on Shockers and Impulses, but I'll also be the first to admit there's some serious shortcomings with both designs.

But if this goes through, I will carefully hoard my current stable of electros, and I will run full tilt back to 'Cockers. I will not in any way, shape or form, if this suit passes, buy another SP product. No Freaks, no Maxes, no All-Americans. No Shockers, no Impulses, no RASE clothes. No grips, no valves, no drops, no nothing.

And I will recommend to all who will listen to do the same. The raw, naked greed boiling off SP is a spreading stain on the sport, and I'm afraid we're all going to get a little dirty.

Doc.
Official Trauma Fan Club Member #46
FeedBack
www.thepaintballfactory.com
www.angrypaintball.com
Philly Fan Clun Member #50

PASS MY POTATO
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2005, 09:32 PM #2
1llusion
ShockerMachineGun

1llusion is a Supporting Member
Way to copy and paste.

Reported for spam, and anti-SP.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:35 PM #3
schneid4323

go ahead and report im not saying you shouldnt buy their products im saying i wont and this is why
FeedBack
www.angrypaintball.com

PASS MY POTATO
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM #4
steveo1313
Team Excel

dude they arent destroying paintball and i doubt they are making a patent for all electros

feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1065355
Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 PM #5
1llusion
ShockerMachineGun

1llusion is a Supporting Member
You didnt write that. and anti-SP is against the rules.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 PM #6
schneid4323

i know i didnt write that but its the reason i dont buy smartparts and are their anti SP rules because i dont see any expecially when i see people with avatars of the crosshairs turning into a swastica
FeedBack
www.angrypaintball.com

PASS MY POTATO
Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 PM #7
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
Ydna is BST Trusted
sorry but that is almost 5 YEARS old. Get with it.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 PM #8
steveo1313
Team Excel

rofl

feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1065355
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 PM #9
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

man if ur gonna try to get at smart parts mabye you should be orignal and write ur own eassay and not one thats been in 83245739838 threads
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 02-08-2005, 10:00 PM #10
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

OA paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
now about not?
PJ's and no shirt; smoke weed eat yogurt.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:02 PM #11
Dontlookdown487
Bow chica bow wow

lol.

well if smartparts does patent all that they created. then GOOD.

maybe companies will start creating their OWN products. and their own innovations!

the second they do patent? Companies will HAVE to create new stuff to stay afloat, which in terms means, the paintball industry will EXPLODE with never before seen ideas!

Well SP... Thanks! for innovating the industry again!

Still love ya!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=778641

Last edited by Dontlookdown487 : 02-08-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 PM #12
markus 63
Sleeper 9-3

that guys an idiot he also poste this in pbtalk, maybe he can think for himself and not just jump on the bandwagon and be anti sp. BS you would not do the same if u were put in their position.

"I grow weary of your sexually suggestive dancing, now bring me my ranch dressing hose."
FEEDBACK
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 PM #13
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
ft57 is a Supporting Member
this has been posted before.....
Old 02-09-2005, 08:53 AM #14
wolverine

wolverine is a Supporting Member
wolverine is a founding member
wolverine supports our troops
wolverine has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This is a published forum rule, break it again and you will be banned. Ignorance is not an excuse!!!

Got a complaint about Smart Parts, look here!!
I realize that many of you get confused when the forum title is more than three letters, so let me spell this out for you.....

This is the SHOCKER forum, not the Complain about Smart Parts forum. Do not post junk here about Smart Parts sueing this, that and the other company. While I do not agree with what is happening, this is NOT the place for the complaining.

Post junk here and you are asking for a quick trip to BANsville.
Closed Thread