Island Paintball Supplies is Long Island, New York's oldest, largest paintball retail store. Owned and operated by Tony Pennino and family, the IPS storefront has been outfitting paintball players and bringing new people into the sport since 1990.
Island Paintball Suppies (IPS)Ok I just want to preface this review with one thing. I have been playing paintball for a long time, and I have read this site for reviews and used it for quite some time, but have never reviewed...
Ok I just want to preface this review with one thing. I have been playing paintball for a long time, and I have read this site for reviews and used it for quite some time, but have never reviewed anything until now. My experience at Island Paintball Arena has forced me to leave a review after about 6 or 7 years of playing paintball.
I had extremely high hopes going in. The field itself looked pretty nice and big, and the the staging area is nice and big. With that said, Island Paintball Arena is THE WORST paintball field I have ever played on. I can't even begin to put into words how awful this place is. But I will try to be as objective as possible when I list the following reasons that Island Paintball Arena is so terrible.
1. The Referees - This field uses 2 refs in a game, the least I have seen in an indoor game, usually at least 3 or 4 are used at other fields. In both instances, the refs seemed to stay away from the action and not once checked a player to see if they were hit. I literally watched a teammate shoot another player in his arm and gun, and the player who was hit continued to fire back and did not leave the field of play. The ref standing off to the side of him did not attempt to do anything. At one point, one of the refs was eating pizza in the back of the field while the game was going on. The Refs also gave preferential treatment to other players that they knew, or worked there. They made the teams uneven and put players of less experience all together instead of splitting them up.
2. No Gun Regulation - Not one persons marker was chronographed before being played. I witnessed some of the worst welts I have ever seen on a persons body from shots they took from across the field. I myself have taken some bad welts from being bunkered before, but I had welts that were worse from getting hit from over 50 feet away. I played with two different guns that day and I was not asked to chrono my gun once.
3. The field itself - It is excessively dark. It is hard to see from one side of the field to the other because the lighting is so bad. From the far side looking over, your opponents look like silhouettes because of the light coming in from the windows in the back is stronger than the overhead lighting.
4. Players - about 50% of the players seemed to either be people who worked their or who were regulars. Most of them were pretty nice, some were very rude though. A lot of my teammates were bonus balling and hunkering inexperienced players. Just wasn't a very good atmosphere for some of the newbies that came to the field.
5. Safety - On multiple occasions, players were walking off the field without barrel covers. I accidentally did this once myself and wasn't not told anything until one of my buddies pointed it out when we were sitting down.
Overall this is a very sad establishment. I am surprised there aren't more bad reviews, but it is obvious I am not the only one who feels this way. I would not recommend this place to anyone, especially someone who is new to the sport, because this place will definitely turn them off from ever playing again.
This review has been rated:
Currently 3.7/5 stars.
Island Paintball Suppies (IPS)the field is poorly taking care of, its gets crowded at times the refs dont give a **** what goes on, the place is cheap and at times is alot of fun theres a wide variety of players its deff worth...
the field is poorly taking care of, its gets crowded at times the refs dont give a **** what goes on, the place is cheap and at times is alot of fun theres a wide variety of players its deff worth goin to if you just want to play the employees can be dicks at times
This review has been rated:
Currently 3/5 stars.
Island Paintball Suppies (IPS)I have always found the guys running the place to be very friendly, but sometimes the refs don't seem to care and there is definitely favoritism with their friends.
I have always found the guys running the place to be very friendly, but sometimes the refs don't seem to care and there is definitely favoritism with their friends.
This review has been rated:
Currently 1/5 stars.
Island Paintball Suppies (IPS)I personally love Island Paintball, and over the winter it is the only field on Long Island that I will go to.
Experienced Players - This is your field to go to. The pricing is about normal and...
I personally love Island Paintball, and over the winter it is the only field on Long Island that I will go to.
Experienced Players - This is your field to go to. The pricing is about normal and isn't overpriced like many other fields on Long Island. It is a great practice field and a fun time to just get together with your friends or a team, or even solo, and just play open. The refs at Island are fun to talk to and they are very laid back, sometimes a little too laid back Overall if you're experienced with the sport this is a great arena.
New Players/Parties - I would advise new players to stay away from Island. Although the field and the refs are fun, the high techs and low techs are not split up, and the refs do not do a very good job of splitting them up.
Overall, Island is a great arena, but it could use some work in order to be much better then it is.